Microsoft Teams Muted Me as Organizer and Would Not Let Me Unmute

Copper Contributor

This morning I logged into a Teams Meeting that I organized.

There were already several people in the meeting by the time I logged on, so Teams automatically muted my mic. But then it would not let me unmute my mic.

I clicked on the mic icon and it would just toggle back to muted, no matter how many times I tried. Shift-Ctrl-M didn't work, either. 

I ended up having to call in to the Meeting using my phone, but by the time I had logged in, my manager had cancelled the meeting and everyone had logged off.

This meeting did coincide with another Teams Meeting I organized at the same time, if that makes a difference, but I was never logged into that meeting.

Any ideas?

Also, can you provide clarification as to what the function actually is that auto-mutes people in a meeting? Is it if there are over 5 participants before you log in?

1 Reply
Can't say exactly what happened but you should consider using the Teams roles in meetings. Too many don't do that so most participants end up as "Presenters" and they have almost all the privileges as an "Organizer".

Adding the support article so you understand what I mean https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/roles-in-a-teams-meeting-c16fa7d0-1666-4dde-8686-0a0bfe16...

And I think you're right, should be around that number. Don't really think about it these days.