Microsoft Teams Lost group chat

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I was a part of some group chats (a chat with multiple people, not a team), but they have been inactive for 2+ weeks now. During this time I received plenty of private chat messages and my chat "Recent" list now only shows these private chats.

My question is how can I access the group chats now that they are gone from the recent list? I remember who were  the attendees in those chats that I am trying to access, but the searchbox at the top doesn't seem to be able to find chats with multiple users. I wanted to retrieve some information that I remember was there. Any advice? I read somewhere else that I can save chats and then be able to access them, but what about chats that have not been saved?

Thanks

2 Replies

This same thing happened to me and I ended up here. I tried looking all over Teams to find that old group, but I found nothing. I decided to create a new group with the same people. After doing so, I was shown the group chat history. Luckily for me the group only had 4 people. This may be difficult if you can't remember everyone who was in the group.

TL;DR start a new chat that has everyone from the original group chat.

I have a user that the same thing happened to. Microsoft care to respond to this. The user seems to have lost a bunch of their recent chats and dropped out of all group chats. Once she reconnects with an individual, the history reappears, but she doesn't know all the membership on the group chats to get that history back. Any ideas?

Berney