Microsoft Teams External Camera on IOS IPad

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Does anyone have any information on when external camera will be recognised in Teams on IOS for IPad?

I Use my IPad Pro as primary tool for work and have the Apple Studio Display.

It would be great to use the camera for this function.

Every time (many times a day) I receive or give a call I have to move the call to the iPad rather than the screen to utilize the camera-function.

Works well with FaceTime 

7 Replies

Hello @Tompa1978 

welcome to the Microsoft community, my name is Recep I'll be happy to help you today.

I understand that you want to know when external camera will be recognized in Teams on IOS for IPad?

External cameras are not currently supported on iPadOS. Whether or not Teams can utilize this feature depends on Microsoft providing support for it in their app. In the meantime, external cameras should still work with Apple-made apps like FaceTime however Microsoft is currently looking into this feature but currently there is no ETA as to when this will be implemented.

For product feedback, kindly use this link to drop your feedback about this product: https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/forum/ad198462-1c1c-ec11-b6e7-0022481f8472

Also, providing you with the Microsoft Office 365 Roadmap Link so that you keep yourselves equipped with the newer features and functionalities - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved

If you like my response, please give it a Like :smile:

Appreciate your Kudos! Proud to contribute! :)

This is not true.  External cameras are supported by iPadOS 17.  They work for FaceTime and Zoom, but sadly not Teams.  I have a similar issue in that I use my iPad extensively for work, but when I join video calls, I don’t use Teams.  It’s very disruptive.

@Tompa1978 - I have two other issues using Teams on my iPad for video calls. Wondering if you experience the same.
1. When I move Teams to the external monitor while on a call, my video feed rotates 90 degrees clockwise.
2. When I’m using a Bluetooth headset with an external monitor plugged in, Teams does not recognize the headset. I can only use the built in audio.
Mbrossart mentioned this, but external cameras were recently added for support. I've done this with a Logitech using Zoom on iPadOS, and naturally Facetime supports it as well.

Curious if this is on the roadmap...
Microsoft Teams on iOS for iPad does not natively support the use of external cameras. The application typically uses the built-in iPad camera for video calls.
Bumping this. Just set up a dock to get external monitor, webcam, speakers, keyboard, and mouse all hooked up via USB-C on iPad Pro. Zoom works great but nada on Teams.
I've found a workaround until Microsoft provides support for the native iPad OS app. I was able to get my camera recognized using the Teams web app on Safari only. This doesn't work in Edge or Chrome, and I didn't test with Firefox so YMMV. You also lose the ability to customize webcam setting if you have a companion app for Windows or Mac, but at least your camera *should* function. For reference, I'm using an Insta360 Link.

Also, if you have another browser set as default other than Safari, don't waste your time saving the tab to your home page, as it will open in the non-compatible browser.

Hope this helps!