Members count in private teams channel is wrong

Copper Contributor

One of my users has reported a discrepancy in the amount of team members in a few of his private channels and the team members count. I have included a screenshot as an example - the count says there are 6 student members within this private channel but 8 names are listed. How is this possible and how can I fix it? 

8 Replies

@EstherHR Hi, is this happening in both desktop and online app?

Try signing out and back in manually (top right corner) to refresh. If it's only an issue in the desktop app it could be cache related and then you can reset the app by typing %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams (via Start) and delete the content in the Teams folder. To just clear the cache you would need to be selective, but it works just fine removing everything.

Experiencing the same issue, clearing the Teams cache does not help, which makes sense as the issue is also seen in Teams in a browser. This appears to only happen when members are added by a background process or automation. Adding members directly in Teams is fine.
Any updates to the private channel members list or even a private channel setting checkbox refreshes the members count correctly for that moment in time.

@FSP_David 

A quick fix/workaround :

Go to the Channel and Choose "Manage Channel" or "Manage Team" then click the "Analytics" tab.

That should update everything so the Member Count is corrected.

@RLars79 

This definitely doesn't work for us.

I'm in an major I.T. company and we were doing some testing for a webinar on Teams. Our test user clicks leave channel and it displays wrong. We've done the wait 24 hours (and 48, 72 etc), we've done the wait over the weekend and the week, still the same. We've done the analytics (still insists 3 members when there are now 2 and user 3 can no longer see/access the private channel).

Literally the only way it corrects is when you add another user and therefore update the o365 group. I'm pretty sure given that Teams sites are essentially underpinned/driven by the o365 group functionality that like soft delete for sites, the glitch occurs due to the system waiting some random period (or for the group itself to be updated). 

This seems to be backed up by the fact it clears when the group is in fact updated by a change to the channel membership.

No even without automation it happens. I experience the same issue...
Not sure where the 6 is not updated to 8. Maybe it takes some time but there may also be the reverse problem. That the number says more than actually members in the channel. This may be because the owners are also counted as members without showing up in the member channel. At least I think that is what is happening since I always have a discrepancy of 1.

@EstherHR my understanding here is that "Owners" of the team/channel don't display under "Members and Guests"...could this be your discrepancy?

The owners are counted separately indeed. I have a team with 2 owners. The count shows 2. Then I count 14 members but the members only show 9.