iOS Login error: MS Teams and Authenticator app just loops

Copper Contributor
When I start MS Teams on my mobile, it just switches to the Authenticator app and then back to Teams -> MFA -> Teams -> MFA -> Teams -> MFA.... in a infinite loop?!

I’ve tried waited 5-10 min with the phone looping, but I can’t still use the MS Teams app on iOS after around 30+ jumps between the 2 apps.

Anyone here with a clue?
17 Replies

In attachments you can see how it just switches between Teams and Authenticator app. 

Starting teams: 

20200502_081111_iOS.png

Switches to authenticator app: 

20200502_0822222_iOS.png

Loads in Authenticator: 

20200502_08333333_iOS.png

Back to Teams: 

20200502_084444444_iOS.png

Back to authenticator again.... 

20200502_0822222_iOS.png

And then loops this.

In logon logs in admin center, this user have logon alot of times in the same minute. 

@JonasRR I experienced the same symptoms - just moments after I applied a new Conditional Access Policy to my pilot user. Turns out I required the user to require both an Azure Hybrid joined device and an Intune compliant device, instead of requiring Any. After I switched it to Any Teams stopped looping for me... 

Hope this helps

whatisit_0-1588746613368.png

Thanks @whatisit ! 
That might be the case...  But somehow it stopped for me after another reinstallation of Teams app. 

But the only policies I use in our tenant is the ones that are MS default preview conditional access policies for MFA, so maybe there are some wrong config in the default ones that I can't seem to edit.. 

MFA-default.png

Does anyone find solution?
:face_screaming_in_fear:
After almost 2 years still experience this loop issue on:
- iOS 14.8
- MS Teams 4.1.0 (newest)
- MS Authenticator 6.5.88 (newest)

Any fix around?

@fyayc-bue I agree, i also experience this issue from time to time and since multiple years. I could notice that I can provoke it by clicking on a Teams group instead of opening a chat or a meeting. However, I found a workaround when it happens: close the Teams app and the authenticator application. Then you open only the authenticator and wait until Face ID has authenticated you and you can see your accounts. Then you open the Teams application and it should work again. I believe the problem is related to using Face Id to open Authenticator in combination with enforced MFA and/or risk policies.

Can you test unlocking it without using face id? cause this seems like a bug with face id and authenticator, some disconnect. Needs to be reported to devs.

Dear @PlanetDDS_JeremyZ
I don't use FaceID. My phone is actually too old to support it :unamused:
But as it came, the infinite loop went' away two days later.

Without any change on my side.

I am still having this same issue in the year 2022, what can I do to fix this? I don't use face recognition but fingertip. Please help :-S.

Since I moved to iOS 16.0.2 (20A380) I don't have this issue anymore.

@PlanetDDS_JeremyZ 

@JonasRR  VPN was on. Disabled NordVPN and all good. 

@Halina1000 Hi, I know this reply is a little late, but I've found a solution on my end.

We removed the previous authenticator from their O365 web portal and re-added a new authenticator method (this time using phone number instead of Authenticator).

Afterwards, the user was able to sign into teams using that verification method.

Thanks,

I've had the same problem for months and none of the workarounds are any use.  

My solution is to avoid teams whenever possible.  Whenever anyone asks my preferred platforms my answer is "anything but teams".  I carry my laptop around with me and charger for the cases where I have to use teams for a meeting - because I simply cannot ever join a teams meeting from my phone.  

Looks like this problem is nearly 2 years old and still not fixed.  

@steve_capell Sorry to hear that you still have this issue. In my case it disappeared and never came back. So I'm quite happy with Teams on iPhone since then. Hope you'll find a way, worst case open a ticket at your Microsoft partner.

This has been happening to me since I got a new M2 iPad Pro. My previous 10.5 Ipad Pro worked without any issues. It's very troublesome especially when I'm in a meeting and I need to mute/unmute while the loop is happening. It's disappointing to know this issue has been going on for 2 years already.

@MelvinC_ 

Just ran into this "lovely" problem when our organization changed the domain extension to EU. Now I cannot use Teams on my iPhone since I cannot reconfigure Teams to use my updated logins. Just fabulous. Bravo MS!

@steve_capell I had the same issue yesterday but found a workaround. What did the trick for me was to have another device to receive the authentication notifications.

Meaning I have the authenticator on my phone and tablet installed and configured. They both receive the notification, so when my phone is in the loop, on the tablet you can authenticate adequately.

Doing so will get you logged in and out of the loop. Hope it helps you and the others!