How to Fully Replace OneDrive Sync with Teams Files

Steel Contributor

We are now averaging about 2-3 people per week that say their OneDrive client stops syncing, takes forever to sync, etc.  We use Files On Demand sync multiple SharePoint libraries (we must use files on demand due to have hundreds of Gbs of files online that can't possible be all sync'd locally).  Also with OneDrive, if you have 5 people with access to same library, since files don't sync immediately, people are working off wrong version.  

Teams has the option of SharePoint libraries, which I'm trying to get users to use instead, but because of so many issues, we're stuck with literally no solution.

1.  If you have a file open in Teams, anything else you do in Teams shuts that file down and you lose your place (if you have multiple folders, you have to start over again).  It's so annoying.  

2.  Even bigger issue is we can't drag and drop files OUT of Teams.  We have other applications other than Microsoft (I know, shocking) that we need to drag pdf files INTO.  We can't do this with Teams.  We can with OneDrive client, but it breaks so many times.

5 Replies

@luvsql 

Which version of Office client do you have? It sounds like perhaps it's not the Office 365 Pro Plus version as that support co-editing, your 5 users can have the file open at the same time, each editing different parts of the documents. There is no reliance on OneDrive syncing a file down to their machine, it opens directly from the Cloud.

Teams acts as a browser to files, opening them in a version of the Office Web Apps. It also supports co-editing, so perhaps that's why you are finding it more useful than an older version of Office. You can go from Teams to 'open in browser' from the ... at the top right. Same experience and functionality, just in a browser window and not Teams.

You can't drag out of Teams as it's really a web app, the files aren't on your machine so can't be dragged into other applications. I would sync the folder to your device, and get folks to keep on this device before try to drop them into another fully client side application.

@Steven Collier We have Microsoft 365 Apps for Business and all our users have Microsoft 365 Business Standard licenses.  

Co-editing files only works with Office files.  It doesn't work with pdf files.

I know we can't drag files out of Teams so what do customers do that use non-Microsoft applications, such as an ERP or Accounting system?  We need those pdfs, which are stored in SharePoint, to be saved elsewhere.  Downloading then using Windows Explorer is crazy.  

"I would sync the folder to your device, and get folks to keep on this device before try to drop them into another fully client side application."  We already do this with OneDrive and have done so for 3 years.  It's buggy and stops working all of the time.  Are you suggesting we have all of our accounting users use the same device?  

@luvsql this is a community forum of other users of Teams, I don't see why your need to start posting ALL CAPS and take an aggressive tone.

Godd luck with your issue.

I used 5 words in caps and 133 in regular to draw focus towards points being missed in my question. I really think you're reading too much into it to now think I'm being "aggressive."

I've edited the offensive all cap words from my post to regular non-caps.