how to enable spell check ms teams desktop software

Copper Contributor

hello, how to enable spell check ms teams desktop software ?

14 Replies

@neilsmith1357 

When typing a message Teams will underline mis-spellings, make sure you have an appropriate language set under Settings > General > Language and the check spelling option checked.

@Steven Collier app language and keyboard language english u.s. 

@neilsmith1357 

My language (German Switzerland) is missing.

How do you get Teams Tasks module to recommend the correct spelling of the word that is misspelled?  Suggested corrections do not seem to be available via a RMB as it is in most Microsoft applications.

@PFratesi We're observing the same problem with Teams in Windows 10 and Windows 11. At first, it was only affecting the Windows 11 clients, but now it's all Desktop clients.

@Steven1138 We are seeing this issue happening within my company and Ive been looking for solutions to this matter as well.  It seems to be happening with all desktop installs of Teams.

Thanks,

@njtewong We too have been having the same issue for Teams, no ability to right click for spell check nor the ability to paste something into the chat box to share with fellow team members.  Spoke to our IT guys, showed me a temp work around but advised that this is a Microsoft issue and they need to work on a patch.  This has only begun in the last two weeks or so.  

Based on my level of authorization for my organization, I am unable to find out when the last patch was pushed out.  

No right click spell correction available for our team either
When typing a message Teams will underline mis-spellings, make sure you have an appropriate language set under Settings > General > Language and the check spelling option checked.
Regards,
Rachel Gomez

@jerimybrown  no kolars this has been resolved years ago! 

I have this too - when adding notes - underlines show up fin but no suggstions.....
Has this issue been fixed? I have been trying to get the desktop application to work, and it always misspells the words. However, when you go online and type in the same sentence and right-click on the misspelled word, it works perfectly.

Click on this link to see the differences between desktop applications and online teams. Please note that I have Enabled spell check.
https://imgur.com/a/imsRON8

There is no such option in redesigned 'new teams' which is actually more frustrating because I thought all the functionality and settings were preserved during migration from old to new teams app.

Really annoying... well it makes me a better person for sure as I have to doublecheck my messages, but still lowers my adoption of new teams overall.

@neilsmith1357 While the basic spell check to underline misspellings works, more robust features like right-click suggestions seem to be hit-or-miss. I suspect there are some complex synchronization issues between the online and desktop versions that make delivering a consistent experience difficult. I agree this is basic functionality that should work properly.

Some workarounds are to use the web version for richer spell check or paste text from Word/Outlook which should carry over corrections. I'm hopeful that bringing light to these inconsistencies will help prioritize a more uniform spell check experience across Teams platforms.