Disable autofocus

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I use Teams video meetings to hold online lectures, and sometimes I want the camera to focus on a piece of paper I am drawing or writing onto. Unfortunately, the camera autofocus is an issue here, as when I am writing or drawing, it tries to focus on my hand, which is disturbing (as reported by my students). How can I turn it off? I use an Ipad with the Teams app. When recording a video (with the built-in camera app, not in Teams), I can turn autofocus off by tapping on the screen for 2-3 seconds, but this does not work in a video call. Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Tamás

7 Replies

Have found a solution to this?  It's been 4 months now, I'm disappointed there have been no replies by the community.   This feature also makes some of our users seasick and force s to differ to using Zoom instead of the Teams meetings.

@hetamas  Also in my opinion, this is an extremely important feature in teams (for lecturers like me) that shoud be included in an advanced camera control section of the camera app. Maybe also resolution and frame rate should be selectable.

Christoph

Though I don't use an iPad I've had a similar issue with the LifeCam Cinema - auto-focus very distracting. Within the MS Teams app if you click the ellipsis on the application banner (beside your name) > go to Settings > Devices > Camera > Open Camera Settings > Select the Camera Control tab > Untick Auto focus > Apply.

This resolved my issue, hopefully it will resolve yours.

this worked for me as well, unticking the "Focus" box

NIRVE_0-1655799437014.png

@hetamas 

This is possible by disable the focus via the settings on your iPad itself. You can find it in the right topcorner, swipe down from the battery condition. There you find the 'Effects' setting of the camera, where you can disable this setting.

@NIRVE this worked perfectly for me, thank you!

ou can find instruction on YouTube on how to turn off autofocus on the Microsoft Lifecam Cinema (H5D-0001) camera, it is missing a step though.
In the Image Adjustment section, you have to turn off TrueColor + ClearFrame Technology before the properties button is available for advanced control.
You can then go to Camera Control tab. to disable auto focus.

Regards,
Rachel Gomez