SOLVED

Custom Background Images for Teams Meetings

MVP

Teams allows you to use a set of images selected by Microsoft as the background for meetings. It’s a nice feature, even if it lacks the ability to upload and use a custom image of your own. This capability was promised, but it looks as if Microsoft knows they need to some work on admin framework before they allow people to upload their own images.

https://office365itpros.com/2020/04/06/teams-meeting-background-image/

97 Replies

Thank you,@Tony Redmond great Tip, I will share this info with my colleagues.

Stay Safe!

@Dane_ThomasWhen I follow that path, I have no folders in the MICROSOFT folder. I do have the most updated version of teams that allows me to change the background, and the feature has been used. Any suggestions on what I am missing?

/users//Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams/Backgrounds/Uploads

@jenncarneiro 

Sorry that I forgot to include the part about making the library visible!

@metz713 

Sorry that I have no tips on where to look if it is not configured that way on your computer. I have managed to make it work on my Mac, but none of the advice here has helped me to find the correct locations to add images on my Windows 10 laptop. Frustrating, to be sure!

@Dane_ThomasThanks. I figured it out. Between making sure I'm in the right user folder AND making the library visible, it popped up. Hidden libraries...SMH. Thank you!!

@Tony Redmond what are the best dimensions for custom background?

@JCabral In https://office365itpros.com/2020/04/06/teams-meeting-background-image/ I recommend 1920 x 1080 pixels, which seem to work well in most cases. It's also the size used for the Microsoft default images.

We got it working. It was something in our internal policies blocking it.

@jenncarneiro okay great thanks - is my tenant determined by Microsoft or by our IT settings?

@JoshNelson 

Hi Josh,

I believe it is Microsoft, but depending on your company size and industry your IT team may or may not be able to influence (I have no idea if this is actually possible)... Likely not worth it for this feature as it's not business critical.

I've successfully negotiated early release to my tenant on other products (cisco not microsoft) - but that was because of significant and ongoing productivity issues (critical).

@Tony Redmond Thank you.

Be safe be at home

@wsantos  Thanks. That link has been in my post for about five days. I keep that post updated as people raise questions.

It doesn't work without selecting the background effects once and trying it out. Even manually creating the folders doesn't do it, until you use it once.

I've tried finding that folder and copy-pasting it in but it isn't working for me.

I'm on Mac btw, is there even an option for me?

@Adsminor510 try this: 

On Macs, the images should be copied to:
/users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams/Backgrounds/Uploads

You may need to hold down the OPTION key before you choose GO from the Finder Menu to get the Library to appear.

@Samanthdurkin 

That isn’t working for me, sorry. I don’t know why

@adam deltinger  when you say any search bar - not sure really where you mean? I searched under the file manager and it was not found. Please advise

Thank you

The location on the Mac:

~/Library/Application Support/Teams/Backgrounds/Uploads

If you're having issues. Go to Finder and select "Go to folder" from the Go menu. Type in ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft since the teams/backgrounds/uploads may not have been created yet.