Change a Teams Email address

Brass Contributor

Hi

When we started out with Teams, we made some mistakes in naming the Teams and as a consequence, we have Teams that we have renamed that have an email address that does not match the new name.  

I found a Powershell script out on the web that purports to do this.  I must confess that I am not a code person and while I could probably run the Powershell script, am hoping that there is a better way that is simpler and less likely for me to mess up.

We want to use Sharepoint as our Intranet so there is a lot of cleanup to be done on the Teams email front before we let people know.

Any guidance on making these changes simply will be really appreciated.  I can launch the Powershell window and then my skill level drops off rapidly.  Sad but true.

5 Replies

@RossChevalier We had the same issue but it was when we retrospectively linked a non-Office 365 Group site to a new O365 Group and we didn't use the correct naming conventions (which are good to have, by the way, as O365 Groups are Azure/Exchange objects like Security Groups). 

To make the change, you change the underlying Office 365 Group email address. You'll need to have Global Admin rights to do this. Here is one example of how to do this, there are probably many others: https://www.tecklyfe.com/change-office-365-group-or-team-email-address/

Incidentally, when you say you want to use SharePoint 'as your intranet', I assume you understand the difference between communication sites that often form the basis for an 'intranet', and team sites such as the ones linked with every Team (and created from an Office 365 Group OR a non-O365 Group-linked site)? I sometimes see people trying to replicate the 'old' legacy SharePoint hierarchy (which is often referred to as 'the intranet') using multiple levels of sub-site under a main site. SPO sites should, as much as possible, be created as equals (e.g., a flat structure), linked by Hub sites or other links as much as possible. 

Thank you @Andrew Warland 

This is the same link that I found and referenced.  I was hoping for something cleaner.  Hope dashed.

Our thoughts on Intranet are indeed still in flux, looking for a combination of simple access to the information needed based on roles, content delivery by role via BI, and the reduction of endless emails on the same topics.  

Right after that we will go after world peace.

Thanks @RossChevalier for the quick reply and sorry it didn't give you the information you needed to fix this. I had to ask one of our Global Admins who knew how to run the Exchange PS script to fix this. Maybe there is a better way, but I don't think so. All of our O365 Groups, by the way, use 'GRP_' as the prefix to make them visually identifiable from Security Groups (SG_) and Distribution Lists (DL_) in the Global Address List. It means you end up with email addresses that all start with 'GRP_name@' but we then know immediately they are O365 Groups. The display name in Teams (and Groups and SPO) can of course be changed to whatever, but it's good to keep it similar to the underlying Group name. 

Thanks again @Andrew Warland 

I have set naming policies as well to identify Teams by sub-org and business unit and done the same as you have with DLs and SGs.  Fixing the display names was easy, the challenge is the email address.  I will have to use the script that you referenced.

This is what we've found:

​​Change Address

• PS> Set-UnifiedGroup -Identity "o365GroupName" -PrimarySmtpAddress NewEmailAddress@byui.edu -RequireSenderAuthenticationEnabled $false

Change Display Name

https://portal.office.com/AdminPortal/Home#/groups