SOLVED

Carriage Return

Copper Contributor
It's would be great if while typing a message pressing the "enter" key would operate like a carriage return instead of sending the message. Most other programs so this or let the user hold the alt enter to do this.

Slack,. Hangouts have this feature. This is very helpful while detailing out a longer message.
10 Replies
Yeah! It’s like a quick chat quick send thing! I’d also suggest users using the format button when composing longer messages
Also it should work with pressing a button and then press enter! Ctrl- enter or shift if I remember correctly!

Adam
Shift + Enter :white_heavy_check_mark:
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@InfinaBenI've gotten into the habit if I am doing a longer message of hitting the format button at the bottom.  This pops up a larger box where the <enter> key will actually just function as a line return and not sending the message and allows you to actually format the message a little better.  I still use the quick typing actions in the quick window, but when I need more thought I immediatelyformat.JPG jump to the format button.

@James Vaughan 

Perfect - thanks

This absolutely works, so thanks James. Does anyone else feel like Teams used to work this out itself in some circumstances? Like when I start a numbered list by typing "1.<space>" and it auto-indents, I'm sure it used to enter "format mode" to create the next line as "2."? If it's auto-indenting, why not do more?
I agree, further more, I think enter should not be permitted to send the message because it's inconsistent with the mobile versions and with other messaging systems like slack which users typically move off to use Teams. You can vote up on the new feedback portal here

https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/fb07395c-3748-ec11-a819-6045bd7bfb94

There is probably some other feedbacks on there too related to this. Hope that helps

Best, Chris

Hello @James Vaughan 

Up to until November or so, it was possible to add a bullet point, and then hit "ENTER" to get another one without sending the message. I see this is still possible IF we click on the FORMAT option but, it is not possible to do it by default. I believe it was a very convenient feature to have that behavior by default.

Thanks,

Alex. 

Hi Alex.

I would follow Chris' suggestion above and make sure to fill out the feedback.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/169605
Thanks James
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@InfinaBenI've gotten into the habit if I am doing a longer message of hitting the format button at the bottom.  This pops up a larger box where the <enter> key will actually just function as a line return and not sending the message and allows you to actually format the message a little better.  I still use the quick typing actions in the quick window, but when I need more thought I immediatelyformat.JPG jump to the format button.

View solution in original post