SOLVED

Audio Conferencing, single number for multiple users

Copper Contributor

Hello all,

I have set up audio conferencing for our organization, since a small number of users have requested it for the dial-in option. However, I'm relatively ignorant of the inner workings of telecommunications. I've assigned 3 conference bridge numbers to 3 different users, i.e. they each have their own individual number.

Unless I'm mistaken, I technically only need one number/conferencing bridge, which can be used by all of the users who need it? As I understand it, the number merely points the caller to the bridge, which in turn connects the user to the meeting via Conference ID. If this is the case, it would seem more elegant if I employed the same number across all users, with the assumption that two different users could theoretically schedule different meetings at the same time, use the same bridge, but let callers connect to their respective meetings with the Conference ID.

If anyone more well-versed in this topic could share their thoughts, I'd be happy to hear them. Not a pressing issue at all, but I would like to streamline future administration.

Cheers,
Joa

3 Replies
best response confirmed by adam deltinger (MVP)
Solution
Yes, one conference number is fine, that's all I've setup, set it default and that's the one it uses for all users with the audio conferencing.
Hi @Joa_from_VHC

That is correct, see here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/phone-numbers-for-audio-conferencing-in-teams

Shared audio conferencing phone numbers are automatically assigned to organizations when they're enabled for audio conferencing. When the phone numbers are assigned, a phone number is assigned as the default phone number of the conferencing bridge. The phone number assigned as the default number of the bridge will be one from the country/region of the organization

It would be recommend to use one as it simplifies administration. All users in the organisation can use the same number for the bridge

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard @Chris Webb

Thanks for your replies! I'll go ahead and employ one number for all users, then. Cheers!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by adam deltinger (MVP)
Solution
Yes, one conference number is fine, that's all I've setup, set it default and that's the one it uses for all users with the audio conferencing.

View solution in original post