SOLVED

SOLVED: No notifications from Teams on iOS (version 4.1.0 on iOS 15.3 with MAM)

Iron Contributor

Update: Fixed!

Issue: No notifications from Teams on iOS.

Root cause: A recent update to notification services contained a code regression that caused impact to users with the Microsoft Intune 'Block Org Data' setting enabled.

MAM (Protection): Is set to "Org data notifications -> Block org Data"

• App version: 4.1.0 (100772022013102) latest from App Store (Jan 29, 2022)
  • Intune SDK version: 15.1.3
  • BundleID: com.microsoft.skype.teams
  • Tested iOS version: iOS 15.4 & iOS 15.3

• App version (last known working ): 3.22 (100772021224302) (Jan 18, 2022)
  • Intune SDK version: unknown
  • BundleID: com.microsoft.skype.teams.extshare
  • Tested iOS version: iOS 15.3
  • Notes: Confirmed that after Teams app update the notifications no longer work.

Further testing:

• App reinstall did not have any impact
  • Device restart did not have any impact
  • Re-authentication did not have any impact
  • Notifications are enabled in Settings > Notifications > _ Teams > all default enabled
  • Tested device was not on silent nor was Do Not Disturbed active
  • Teams Notifications settings were enabled and the in-app notifications worked

Speculation

It seems that the latest version of Teams on iOS has broken something with Notifications, the MAM policies have not changed during this period and the 3.22 version was still able to operate as expected. I am not a developer but there may be something that changed in the Notification Policy implementation?

// IntuneMAMNotificationPolicyAllow - All notifications for the managed user should be allowed
// IntuneMAMNotificationPolicyBlockOrgData - Only static notifications without specific details
// should be shown for the managed user e.g. "You've got mail" or "You have a meeting".
// IntuneMAMNotificationPolicyBlock - All notifications for the managed user should be suppressed.
typedef NS_ENUM(NSInteger, IntuneMAMNotificationPolicy)
{
    IntuneMAMNotificationPolicyAllow = 0,
    IntuneMAMNotificationPolicyBlockOrgData = 1,
    IntuneMAMNotificationPolicyBlock = 2,
};

Workarounds:

Disabling the MAM Application Protection policy Notification component, but other than that no other workarounds as far as I know. 

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Alo Press (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Hi

:) I know.. I have an open support case at this moment.. ms knows about the issue

Did you happen to migrate to a new phone when this started to occur?

"The issue was escalated to our engineering team and after checking it from their end, it was discovered the issue is not specific to your tenant. A work item has been created to resolve the issue and the ETA is at the end of Q1 2022."
Dang, sorry for the duplicate post then, tried searching for existing information on this but guess I wasn't thorough enough.
Good to know that the issue has already been added to their backlog and we can hope for a fix within a reasonable timeframe. Marking your response as best :)

I opened a support case... so its not available public information.

Do you know whats funny
-Opening teams on android gives you notification with that same account
-Enrolling a total new ios device with your user account doesn't work
-Enrolling that same device with a total different account from another tenant WORKS :)

I have the same issue on my iPhone my work account Email address removed is giving issues but if I log out and log in with my Email address removed account, everything works :)

It started happening after restoring my backup on a my new iphone

Rudy Ooms | MVP :netherlands: on Twitter: "Always nice to hear, my Teams notification issue (no noti...

February 10, 2022 7:14 AM
Title: Users don't receive banner, lock screen, and notification center notifications for Microsoft Teams on iOS

User Impact: Users didn't receive banner, lock screen, and notification center notifications for Microsoft Teams on iOS.

More info: Badges that appear on application logos were still working as expected.

Final status: We've completed the deployment and have confirmed via internal testing that impact is remediated.

Scope of impact: Impact was specific to users on the Microsoft Teams iOS app with the Microsoft Intune 'Block Org Data' setting enabled.

Start time: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 2:00 AM (12:00 AM UTC)

End time: Thursday, February 10, 2022, 12:00 AM (2/9/2022, 10:00 PM UTC)

Root cause: A recent update to notification services contained a code regression that caused impact to users with the Microsoft Intune 'Block Org Data' setting enabled.

Next steps:
- We're further investigating the details of the recent notification services update which contained the code regression to ensure that impact such as this does not occur in the future.

This is the final update for the event.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Alo Press (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Hi

:) I know.. I have an open support case at this moment.. ms knows about the issue

Did you happen to migrate to a new phone when this started to occur?

"The issue was escalated to our engineering team and after checking it from their end, it was discovered the issue is not specific to your tenant. A work item has been created to resolve the issue and the ETA is at the end of Q1 2022."

View solution in original post