SOLVED

iPhones re-provisioning or ownership change

Copper Contributor

Hello! 

I was looking for a right way to re-provision(Autopilot reset equivalent) iPhone and iPads that are managed by my organization. Few devices were manually joined/Enrolled to our AD and latest devices are all in Supervised mode that were automatically joined during the Setup processes.

Please suggest me the best practices to change the ownership for IOS devices.

Best,

Abhi   

4 Replies

Hello @Abhi__BR 

Not very clear what exactly you are trying to achieve, the device ownership can be changed by navigating to Devices and from a specific device this value can be changed under Properties and Device Ownership. 

ownership.pngIf your goal is to change the enrollment method then you can either use Apple Business Manager or if you have a more local setup then Apple Configurator 2 would also help you get your iDevices Supervised. Or if you want to "un-supervise" existing devices then that can be done only via Factory Reset and you have to be sure those devices aren't part of automatic enrollment. 

Thanks for your reply, I was looking to change the ownership as in to reassign the device to a new employee from an offboarded employee, few Apple devices are manually enrolled and the Autopilot reset option in MDM for these devices are greyed out.
best response confirmed by Abhi__BR (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I am currently also witing for this feature. re-assigning ownership to iphones would be very useful. however, in the mean time, if your iphones are provisioned/prepared using ABM/Apple configurator, then I remotely wipe the device, give that device to another user where they can setup. When you wipe the device, it will not wipe the tenants management profile (very useful). so once they sign in using thier credentials, it will synch with intune and deploy the ncessary configuration, conditional access policies and apps.
Hey @Suleyman,
Thanks a lot, that was exactly what I was looking for.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Abhi__BR (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I am currently also witing for this feature. re-assigning ownership to iphones would be very useful. however, in the mean time, if your iphones are provisioned/prepared using ABM/Apple configurator, then I remotely wipe the device, give that device to another user where they can setup. When you wipe the device, it will not wipe the tenants management profile (very useful). so once they sign in using thier credentials, it will synch with intune and deploy the ncessary configuration, conditional access policies and apps.

View solution in original post