SOLVED

Anonymous settings in MS Forms

Copper Contributor

Hello,

is it possible to somehow change the settings in MS Forms to "not-anonymous"?

I created a form where for participants to sign up for an event. They should insert their personal information etc. and I can see all of that except the e-mail address. I created a power automate workflow to write the data from forms in excel and it works except for the e-mail addresses.

I need the information about the e-mail address to send the participants further information about the event.

I would be glad if someone could help me.

Thanks!

10 Replies
best response confirmed by simonpeuter (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@simonpeuter the settings are either "anyone can respond" or only people in your organisation can respond". So if anyone can respond and you need their email address you must ask for that in a text  question. Forms has no way of knowing their address otherwise.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

If the participants are not from your organization then you will have to set the form to anyone can respond and add the field to collect email id in the form. However if the participants are from your organization, then set it to people from my organization can respond, then the form will give you the email ids of the respondents.
Hey Rob,

thanks for your reply. It was already set to "anyone can respond" and the email address was a text question. I was trying to use power automate to extract the data and found there was a bug in there which set the addresses to anonymous. :)

@simonpeuter not correct, if it is set to "anyone can respond" then the form response abd spreadsheet  will ALWAYS show it as Anonymous. It is not a bug, it is by design. That is why you need a question that specifically asks for the responder's email address and get that as part of your flow.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@RobElliott Ok, I have the 365 personal account. Created a form, that collected data into an excel book that the form created, but how can I add the Name and Email fields to the form not to have the anonymous fill in Name and and empty cell in Email. Thanks!

@Marcelo_BCN if you have set the form to "anyone can respond" then it will ALWAYS add the response into the spreadsheet as Anonymous. If you need to collect those details from people outside your organisation then you in your form you will need to have mandatory questions for their name and email address.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@RobElliott thanks very much. Is there any problem if I delete those columns? The form will never be used for my organisation. Also, I noticed I can't move columns to the left-right, no matter I thought it could obviously be done!! Any solution?

Thanks!

@Marcelo_BCN I wouldn't delete those columns and you can't move them because it will affect the form. I never use the spreadsheet behind the form for anything other than a backup; in my business we always use a flow in Power Automate to save each response into a SharePoint list. You could equally have a simple flow to save the response to a different Excel spreadsheet without the name and email columns.

Rob
Los Gallardos

Many thanks, I will use it to combine mail in a Word document. Hope this is safe enough!!
I am having the issue of bringing back the setting "only people people in my organization can respond" without success. Currently any form I start to build is defaulting to "anonymous". I have to correct the issue by creating the two question asking for name and email address but nothing changes. 
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by simonpeuter (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@simonpeuter the settings are either "anyone can respond" or only people in your organisation can respond". So if anyone can respond and you need their email address you must ask for that in a text  question. Forms has no way of knowing their address otherwise.

Rob
Los Gallardos

View solution in original post