Anonymous responses on Office forms: is there any way to have their email or name?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have launched a contest for colleagues but all responses came out anonymous (i had incorrectly unselected that option). I need to find out who send each of the responses. Is there any way we can find out who is behind each of the anonymous responses I got?

Thank you in advance.

65 Replies

Hi @Guy_Boswell 

For the anonymous survey, you could make the name and email questions required so they must submit something for the fields.

If you're using Forms Pro, I believe there's validation for email format input, but vanilla Forms doesn't have this functionality.

Unfortunately, someone could submit incorrect or bogus info, but this is the risk we run when a form is anonymous.

Best wishes

Damien

@Damien Rosario what we need to be able to do is:

send the form to someone outside the organisation 

have that form show the email address the form was sent to

to prevent 1 person sending the same link to other people

Hi @samuelrossids 

Unfortunately, Forms does not do what you have asked. At least vanilla Forms doesn't do this, not sure about Forms Pro as I don't use it, so perhaps someone else can chime in on that part, but in the end my understanding is that Forms is not designed for this sort of use.

Best wishes and stay safe

Damien

i am getting the same problem, but

Capture.PNG

i dont have that option in my settings@Cian Allner  

Hi, 

I set the quiz option with record name but form only capture the email address not the respondent's name.  How can I fix this?

Are the options discussed above only in formspro ? I don't see them in forms

I have same problem whith enabled record name option. Ms FORMS showed names of some respondents while it showed emails of remaining ones for same form.

@Damien Rosario can we edit this text "Hi <>, when you submit this form, the owner will be able to see your name and email address." I don't want to hide it since i am using the users credentials in my flow.

@Ben13 no you can't hide it or change it.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft SharePoint and Power Automate Community Super User

I understand your point of you but is it then possible to add collect the name of the recipients or such in the option of "Only those with the link". A few of us were eager to try this out and now we are stuck with anonymous answers to a quiz and look very unprofessional@Damien Rosario 

Hi @Hanan_Deyab 

Hope you are well.

I would add a mandatory question asking for their name before they go into the rest of the questions. This way you can associate the answers to the individual.

Make this question the first in your form and make it required.Make this question the first in your form and make it required.When you look at the results, you can associate the name to the quiz details as it'll be one single line.When you look at the results, you can associate the name to the quiz details as it'll be one single line.

Hope that helps?

Cheers

Damien

I have conducted a test in the class and missed to select the option the names in record. now the response showing anonymous. How can I trace the names of the students? Please help..!

@10Tenchoe you can't. If a form has been set to anonymous (anyone with a link can respond) instead of people in your organisation only responding then there is no way to find out who submitted the form after the event. If you could could it would be a compliance, legal and a data protection nightmare!

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@RobElliottyou say Forms can't do that, but wouldn't it be more accurate to say it *doesn't*? It must be technically possible, as SurveyMonkey has that capability.

@Guy_Boswell 

Hi I am asking I want  the form to remain anonymous.  I am planning to do an election vote, I wish to send an email to all in  our organisation with a link to Microsoft teams form.  I wish for the return of the form to remain anonymous and also with just one response (as only allowed 1 vote per person)

Our email goes out via RS Connect system and I have been advised by our communication's officer this is not possible to have anonymous returns?

@bailey123 

If they have an organisational email address you could tick the box

Guy_Boswell_0-1607001518040.png

It will not be anonymous by default but you could copy the anonymous data columns to another spreadsheet using Power Automate.

If they aren't in your organisation they will be anonymous by default but you will not be able to readily enforce one response per person

Guy

@Guy_Boswell 

Thanks Guy, trying to an election electronically and its proving to be more difficult than set out in the guidance!

@bailey123 It always is more difficult than the guidance ;)  That is why they pay us the big bucks to make it work ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

@Guy_Boswell hahahah ! I might have to come back to this thread many more times then!!!

Hello @Guy_Boswell 

Also in settings, when is set to "Anyone can respond" still we can collect necessary inputs such as Name, Mail ids, etc as different rows, and in quiz forms you can set the points to "0" so that it will not be evaluated but data will be captured in the output sheet.

Hope this may help.

Thank you,

Rohit