SOLVED

Spam being delivered to Junk folder

Copper Contributor

I am still having spam messages being delivered to the Junk folder, even after setting Spam Message Action to delete the message (see first image below). I also ran a message trace and found that the message was filtered as spam and delivered to the Junk folder (see second image below). Why am I getting spam delivered to my Junk folder when I explictily chose to have it deleted?

Screen Shot 2023-10-10 at 9.18.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-10 at 9.26.36 PM.png

19 Replies
please can you check which policy is catching your email ? anti -spam or anti-phishing ?

@eliekarkafy Thank you for your response. Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but where would I go to check which policy was used for this specific email. I just received another email into my Junk folder this morning and I don't know how they are sent there when I have the Spam policy set to delete spam messages. Thank you.

@w4C777 for example open the email from the explorer blade in defender and check the action applied on this email 

eliekarkafy_0-1697036450981.png

Where is the explorer blade? I've looked everywhere in the left navigation pane and can't find it.

@w4C777 in the defender portal under email & collaboration as below 

eliekarkafy_0-1697037553466.png

@eliekarkafy It appears that I do not have that option, or even some of the options that you have. Is there a way to enable those additional options?

Screen Shot 2023-10-11 at 10.21.09 AM.png

which license you have for your users ?
Microsoft 365 Email Essentials through GoDaddy. That's probalby the reason. Is there any other way I can find out why these emails are being deliverd to the Junk folder?

@w4C777 yes because threat explorer is part of the defender of o365 plan2. the Exchange online protection requires the below licenses to protect your users 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/servicedescriptions/exchange-online-protection-service-d...

OK. So there is no other way for me to troubleshoot this? I'm running a message trace in Exchange Admin Admin Center, but don't know if that is going to give me the information I need. Do you have any other suggestions? BTW, I appreciate all of your help. :)
With your current license i dont think EOP will protect your users . So your anti spam policy wont protect your users . So any spam email will be moved to the junk but will not be quarantined as EOP is not active in your case . You have to get a license that include EOP. From the end users you can just block the sender but still not enough . Protecting your users requires EOP

Look at my very first post, and below. The Anti-spam Inbound Policy has several options, one being Spam message action. I have set it to Delete Message, and not all Spam message are being deleted. Some messages are ending up in my Junk folder and I don't know why. Where else can I go to troubleshoot this?

Screen Shot 2023-10-11 at 10.54.57 AM.png

@w4C777 ok try to set also the high confidence spam as delete message also , maybe your emails are considered as high confidence spam 

OK. It was set to Quarantine, so the spam should not have been going into the Junk folder. I'm not confident that changing this to Delete will work, but I will give it a try.
best response confirmed by w4C777 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@w4C777 check your anti phishing policy settings in the action section as well 

@eliekarkafy Yes, I did check that as well. Thank you. The setting 'If the message is detected as spoof by spoof intelligence' was set to deliver to Junk folder, but I don't believe that was the issue. I changed it to Quarantine the message, which was the only other option. Again, I don't believe these are spoofed emails. I'll let you know if some spam keeps getting delivered to the Junk folder. Thanks again!

Screen Shot 2023-10-11 at 12.22.21 PM.png

let check this, maybe they are considered a phishing emails.
So far I have not received any email into my Junk folder. Maybe this was finally resolved by changing the 'If the message is detected as spoof by spoof intelligence' settings was switched to Quaritine the message. I'll continue to monitor for another week. At that time, I will accept this as resolved. Thanks a lot for your help.
I still have not received any emails to my Junk folder. The problem may (hopefully) be resolved. Thank you again for your help.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by w4C777 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@w4C777 check your anti phishing policy settings in the action section as well 

View solution in original post