Word 2016 and Formatting Marks issues

Copper Contributor

I have come across an issue recently with Word 2016 that I can't seem to resolve. I work for an organization that has a Print Shop that makes the forms our other facilities use. While making them, they utilize the formatting marks in Word to see how many spaces, tabs, and other formatting is done on a page. After upgrading their devices from Windows 10 1703 to Windows 10 1803, it seems that Word 2016 has broken. Additionally, it appears their version of Office 365 had also been updated to version 16.0.9126.2295. This is the current version my organization is using. When they turn on the formatting marks, it causes the page to "glitch out" making many items seemingly disappear. If you print the document, it prints as normal. However, it appears it cannot display correctly any more.

Here is how it looks with formatting marks turned off:

format_off.png

And then, when I turn them on, this happens:

format_on.png

If I zoom in and out on the document, this causes the information that is visible to change from almost nothing to it looking like the ruler and other edit buttons appearing on the document. We have seen this on several PCs (although it does not affect less complicated documents). We have tried installs on freshly imaged PCs and even re-installing. I am at a loss for what could be causing this or what could fix it. It has been observed on 3 different model devices as well (Lenovo M93p, Dell OptiPlex 3060, Dell Latitude 5580). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply

@xangbar-1297  - I am having the exact same problem.  Did you find a fix?