Windows 10 Start Menu shortcuts for Outlook 365

Copper Contributor

Hi -

I have created three shortcuts for Outlook in a file folder:

1. My primary inbox: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE" /select "outlook:\\email address removed for privacy reasons\inbox"
  2. Calendar: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE" /select "outlook:calendar"
  3. Contacts: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE" /select "outlook:contacts"

The shortcuts work fine when I double click them in the file folder. Now, I want to pin then to the Start Menu (preferred) or the Taskbar.

I pin the first one using the "Pin To -either-" selection in the File Explorer right click menu. It doesn't matter which one. When I attempt to pin the second or third ones, File Explorer offers to UNpin them.

At that point, the shortcut that I pinned doesn't work as expected; double clicking on one of them in the file folder displays an error message "An unexpected error has occurred." (event log says error 0x80004005); and the others don't seem to do what I expect.

After unpinning the shortcut, double clicking on the ones in the file folder start to work again.

I have other applications where I create multiple Start Menu or Taskbar shortcuts with different command line parameters, they all work fine. So, between that and the fact that an error is logged in the system error log suggests to me that the problem is in Outlook (?).

Any ideas?

Cheers!

--- tom

Microsoft® Outlook® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2205 Build 16.0.15225.20172) 64-bit

0 Replies