SOLVED

PST Network Import in Purview Fails with Server Error 500 consistently

Iron Contributor

Howdy Folks! 

We started migrating archive mailboxes to Office 365 (Exchange Online from Enterprise Vault) yesterday but failed with the following error. We've tried multiple accounts (each less than 10 GB) and ended up with the same error except few succeeded. Followed the exact steps stated in this Microsoft article and it all goes well all the way until the last stage where we get this error after couple of hours (although its just a 2GB in size). - Use network upload to import PST files - Microsoft Purview (compliance) | Microsoft Docs 

1. Assigned required roles/permissions to the account used

2. Enable Archiving on the desired EXO mailboxes 

3. Export Archive mailboxes to PST 

4. Upload PSTs to Azure Storage Area using AZCopy

5. Create the import job in Purview 

6. Import to 365 in Purview

7. Error occurred in 1-3 hours time

ManojKarunarathne_0-1659537085097.png

Error details from the logs -------------------

Status code: InternalServerError (500)
Response headers:
Pragma: no-cache
request-id: 4a5e6606b4
Alt-Svc: h3=":443"
X-CalculatedBETarget: SYCPR01.au.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM
X-BackEndHttpStatus: 500
X-RUM-Validated: 1
x-ms-appId: 0f-46fe-94e0-969a3d4c9292
X-Psws-ErrorCode: 841101
X-Psws-Exception: Microsoft.Exchange.Net.CommunicationErrorTransientException
X-Psws-Warning: When an item can't be read from the source database or it can't be written to the destination database

-CSV mapping file is validated with no issues

-I can see the PST files list in Azure Storage and 365 picks it nicely 

-PST file is not corrupted. I tried to import it via Outlook and worked well (unfortunately this won't work for us as this is a bulk migration) 

Has anyone seen this behaviour? Any ideas are greatly appreciated ! 

Cheers

Manoj

8 Replies

Heads-Up:
I have raised this with Microsoft support and they came back with an update saying the issue is now escalated to the ENG team. There seems to be an issue from Microsoft end as some other tenants have also reported the same behaviour. I will update this post as we progress. If any of you happen to know some developments on this, please do update here. thank you!

We're having the same problem. This only happens to some users, randomly.

@Manoj Karunarathne we have the same issue and have opened a unified support ticket.

I have done a couple of tests to find out they've succeeded but requires more bulk imports to confirm. Haven't heard back from Microsoft support officially but, it looks like its starting to work now. Will do more testing this week and post the updates here.

best response confirmed by Manoj Karunarathne (Iron Contributor)
Solution
@renanlima84, @ScottLong20,
I have tried multiple batches and succeeded consistently. Interested to know how did your go?

Also learned from Microsoft that they're applying a fix (this may have been completed but not sure on the latest this week)

@Manoj Karunarathne 

Para nós foi normalizado desde o dia agosto/05

@Manoj Karunarathne Mine succeeded the next day so and Microsoft confirmed there was a back-end issue on the 1st day I tried.

Microsoft confirmed that this is now completely resolved and the new imports should not be impacted.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Manoj Karunarathne (Iron Contributor)
Solution
@renanlima84, @ScottLong20,
I have tried multiple batches and succeeded consistently. Interested to know how did your go?

Also learned from Microsoft that they're applying a fix (this may have been completed but not sure on the latest this week)

View solution in original post