365 Tenant To Tenant Migration

Copper Contributor

I have a tenant who is not set up to be GCC compliant. We have created another tenant that is now GCC compliant and need to move the tenants from the original tenant to the newly created GCC compliant tenancy. I am not sure how we can go about doing this with the destination and origination having the same domain name. I have created the users with the onmicrosoft accounts, instead of the .org users, but we still have the issue of migration. How do we move these users? What is the expected down time for their domain if we use a dummy domain? I am very concerned this is going to result in a massive loss of data.

4 Replies

Hi @Scott_McDonald90 ,

you might want to check tenant-to-tenant migration, Microsoft docs: Microsoft 365 tenant-to-tenant migrations - Microsoft 365 Enterprise | Microsoft Docs

I would also advise to use Third-Party tool like Bittitan - BitTitan MigrationWiz | Migrate to Microsoft 365, Exchange, and G Suite. Bititan will also provide support, but it will cost you 12-15 dollars per user. Depending on what you want to move, just emails or more.

@Adin_Calkic 

Unfortunately that document does not cover the steps or the details for this type of migration. It does cover tenant to tenant, but does not cover if the migration involves two tenants with the same domain name.

Hi @Scott_McDonald90 ,

these are the seps: Cross-tenant mailbox migration - Microsoft 365 Enterprise | Microsoft Docs

If you have never done migration before, I would recommend that you consult with someone who has done it before. Someone in your area or as I mentioned before, you could do it with a third-party. This process could be complex, and it requires planing. 

Here is the video on how it's done. This is just a small part but just to give you an idea: MigrationWiz for Office 365: Mailboxes - YouTube

Good luck! 

You can perform your migration with a solution like this:
https://cloudiway.com/solutions/microsoft-365-cross-tenant-migration
For detaching and reattaching the domain I would suggest to use this feature during the detaching operation
https://cloudiway.com/mailrouting-for-microsoft-365-tenant-to-tenant-migration/