Please add Markdown support

Iron Contributor

Please add support for Markdown editing/rendering. EverNote and Boostnote all support this, but OneNote still lacks this feature, while it remains so many developers' main notetaking tool. Take myself as an example, I enjoy its seamless integration with OneDrive and powerful search function, but find it difficult to properly take down coding related notes -- I was forced to format code snippets into monospaced font with shading to make them look like "code snippets".

To elaborate the user story about this idea:

1. The user can create a new "regular page" or a "Markdown page". If the latter, then Markdown tags entered are rendered as you type (e.g. #title, >quote, *bold*, `code`...)
  2. The user might also enjoy a "cell editing" mode (similar to Jupyter Notebook). So if the cursor is placed in a cell, then it changes to raw text view. And once escaped from this cell, it gets rendered. And maybe enable some Jupyter/VS Code stype shortcut keys, too (Alt+Up/Down to move the cell, Alt+Shift+Up/Down to duplicate the cell, Ctrl+Shift+K to kill a line, etc)

This way notetaking will be more efficient/fun, and many developers would thank MS!

56 Replies
@onemark, simply amazing what you did!
Unfortunately I use OneNote on a Mac :(

Totally agree! @frank-yifei-wang Markdown is well-organized.

There is no good reason why this doesn't exist in OneNote. It's the very reason I no longer use this application. I use Marktext and Typora, I even tried Obsidian. Microsoft these developers are running circles around you on this.

I would love to come back to OneNote, but no Markdown, no adoption.
Adding another voice to this. I'm an M365 customer and yet I use Obsidian for most notes. I'll add that Markdown support for things like Planner would make it vastly more useful... I'm honestly mostly working out of Github for even non-technical projects right now because the bare-bones basics that most people have come to expect don't exist in these products. It's really frustrating and I'd love to see it changed.
Yessss, it would be so nice to be able to format on the fly on every system

@onemark Last i knew it supports only Windows Desktop version with no UWP Support. Either way the creator is super nice and its well made and should be default for OneNote.

Here is the creator of the Plugin on Reddit discussing it in the r/OneNote Sub.

I have more or less a vendor lockin to OneNote and would love to have Markdown support. I add my voice to this feature request and will start using the markdown style anyway and hope it will be rendered by onenote soon. 

I often work with GitHub repos that use .md files to organize written information. I would use OneNote a lot more if there was a way to open .md files in onenote, ie add a page to my notebook that is an .md file, or load in information directly from an .md file -- not just an embedded file preview.

OneNote cannot load in .md files *at all*, even just to show the raw text. It's disappointing and surprising that OneNote can't do what even notepad.exe can.

My current approach to solving this problem is going to be opening the .md file in Notepad, copy-pasting it into a onenote page, and using the add-in OneMark to try to format each line. We shall see how it goes... there are a lot of lines. :(

Thanks to the Microsoft folks for reading this feedback!
Hi, in OneMark, you can just click 'Import Markdown' to import .md files.
Which is super great (thank you!), but not available cross platform, like on their web client or on Android. Native support is still the ideal here.

I literally just signed up to this forum for the sole purpose of voting this up.

Markdown would make our lives much better. Microsoft, please add it! :)

Signed in just to +1 to this.

I'm just about to convert to obsidian due to the lack of code blocks and chaos that is OneNote.... however the picture resizing is hard to leave.
+1 and all that...
Registered just to +1 this.
Specifically, we would like to create and manage internal product/project documentation in Markdown (via OneNote, Obsidian or other) and make those files available on our Teams/OneDrive(Sharepoint?) sites where our teams can readily access them.
Yep. We want this. Everyone wants this....
I used OneNote for a long time and liked it. But the lack of Markdown support made me switch completely.
If OneNote would be a project of a small dev group I would understand it. But Microsoft?
Adding one more vote for native markdown support in OneNote.
We all like markdown. Please add spport for markdown!
One more OneNote user on a Mac waiting for Markdown ....

@frank-yifei-wang 

Hey OneNote team!

How’s it going? I wanted to ask you guys to add native markdown support to OneNote. Markdown is super popular among developers and communication professionals for quickly and easily formatting text. If OneNote had native markdown support, it would make life so much easier for these users and would make OneNote even more popular among the programming and communication crowd.

Please listen to the appeal of this engaged community that loves your technology.