SOLVED

When using IF formula how to return blank cell if error

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

Thanks for the help in advance. I have 2 issues which I'm having trouble with.

1. I'm currently trying to create an excel document which will subtract one cell from another however when there is an error, it returns "#VALUE!". Is there a way to return a blank cell with no text if an error occurs. I have tried using "" and "IFERROR" but I cannot seem to incorporate them into the same cell. The formula I'm using at the moment is as follows: =IF(A12=6,E11-B12,"") however on the odd occasion there may be a piece of text or 2 numbers in the cell B12 which causes the error.

2. This is causing an error on the next sheet which brings me to my 2nd issue. I am trying to display the amended cells onto the next sheet in order to export the document with the amended numbers. Due to the error on the first sheet, "#VALUE!" is being displayed on the second one and the original unamended numbers are not being shown. I assume if there 1st issue was resolved then the 2nd issue would resolve itself.

The need for this is to change our 2D levels to 3D and then export the excel document in to a separate piece of software. I have attached screenshots of the pages and formulas being used.

Excel 1.PNGExcel 2.PNG

Let me know if you have any questions. Thankyou.

6 Replies
best response confirmed by KyneStaley1 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@KyneStaley1 

=IFERROR(IF(A12=6,E11-B12,""),"")

This is the formula in sheet 1 which returns an empty cell in case of an error in my worksheet.

=IF(ISERROR(IF('Kyne Loadfile Test 1'!A12=6,'Kyne Loadfile Test 1'!E11-'Kyne Loadfile Test 1'!B12,"")),'Kyne Loadfile Test 1'!E11,'Kyne Loadfile Test 1'!H11)

This formula returns the value from cell E11 of sheet 1 if there is an error in the calculation E11-B12.

Kyne Loadfile Test 1:

loadfile test 1.JPG

Kyne Loadfile Test 2:

loadfile test 2.JPG.

@OliverScheurich 

Firstly, thankyou for the response. This has solved the first issue however it hasn't resolved the second one. This has displayed all the original levels which were subject to error previously however it is not showing any of the previous levels which did not need any subtraction from them. Would it be possible to incorporate this into the formula as every time we were to use this excel document, the layout of which levels would need subtraction would be different. 

I have shown the formula used on both sheet 2 and sheet 1. Thankyou in advance.

Excel 3.PNGExcel 4.PNG

@KyneStaley1 

You are welcome. I'm not sure what the expected results are. I've set up an Excel file with parts of your data. Can you share the expected results in cells E11, E12 and so on?

Sheet "Kyne Loadfile Test 2":

loadfile test 2.JPG

@OliverScheurich 

Excel 3.PNG

If the E column on Sheet 1 does not have a value in its row on column H then the value of the E column should carry over to sheet 2. For example:

E9 on sheet 1 would go to E9 sheet 2 as there's no value in column H. 

E10 on sheet 2 would mirror H10 on sheet 1 as this number has been amended.

E11 on both sheets would remain blank and not show any data.

E12 on both sheets would remain blank and not show any data.

E13 on sheet 1 would go to E9 sheet 2 as there's no value in column H. 

E20 on sheet 2 would be the same as sheet 1 as there are two numbers so no sum has taken place.

Thankyou for your help!

@KyneStaley1 

=IF(AND('Kyne Loadfile Test 1'!H9="",'Kyne Loadfile Test 1'!E9=""),"",IF('Kyne Loadfile Test 1'!H9="",'Kyne Loadfile Test 1'!E9,'Kyne Loadfile Test 1'!H9))

This is the formula in cell E9 of sheet "Kyne Loadfile Test 2" which returns the expected results in the attached file.

loadfile test sheet.JPG

That's worked.

Thankyou so much for you help!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by KyneStaley1 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@KyneStaley1 

=IFERROR(IF(A12=6,E11-B12,""),"")

This is the formula in sheet 1 which returns an empty cell in case of an error in my worksheet.

=IF(ISERROR(IF('Kyne Loadfile Test 1'!A12=6,'Kyne Loadfile Test 1'!E11-'Kyne Loadfile Test 1'!B12,"")),'Kyne Loadfile Test 1'!E11,'Kyne Loadfile Test 1'!H11)

This formula returns the value from cell E11 of sheet 1 if there is an error in the calculation E11-B12.

Kyne Loadfile Test 1:

loadfile test 1.JPG

Kyne Loadfile Test 2:

loadfile test 2.JPG.

View solution in original post