SOLVED

VBA coding help

Brass Contributor

Hey guys! I need some help!

So my company has a "Master Project List" spreadsheet that summarizes the important information of all projects into one place. 

I currently have a VBA code that I found on the internet that will update the date in column N if the cell in column M is updated. The problem that I am having is that every time one cell is updated, every cell in column N will update as well; I only want the the one cell to update. (i.e., if I change the number in cell M103, only the date in cell N103 should update; all other cells in column N should remain the same.)

Can someone either give me a new VBA code or help me fix my current code?

Code:

Public Function Lastmodified(c As Range)

Lastmodified = Now()

End Function

Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("L1")) Is Nothing Then

Target.Offset(1, 0) = Now
 End If

End Sub

how it should look (different dates in the last column):Screenshot 2023-03-23 082412.png

how it looks after updating (only the date in the last row should change):Screenshot 2023-03-23 083507.png

8 Replies

@LilYawney 

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim rngBereich As Range

Set rngBereich = Range("M100:M200")

If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then GoTo done

If Not Application.Intersect(Target, rngBereich) Is Nothing Then

If Target.Value <> "" Then
Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = Now
Else
Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = ""
End If

End If

done:
Application.EnableEvents = True
Exit Sub

End Sub

You can try this code. In the attached file you can enter data in a cell in range M100:M200 and the adjacent cell in column N returns the current date and time.

@LilYawney 

One possible solution is to change the line

Target.Offset(1, 0) = Now

to

Target.Offset(0, 1) = Now

This will update the cell in column N that corresponds to the changed cell in column M, instead of the cell below it.

Another possible solution is to use the Worksheet_Calculate event instead of the Worksheet_Change event. This will update the cells in column N only when the values in column M are recalculated.

You can use a formula like this in column N:

=IF(M2<>"",Lastmodified(M2),"")

This will call the Lastmodified function only when the cell in column M is not empty.

This code still changes all cells in column N
I tried this but it says "Compile error: Procedure declaration does not match description of event or procedure have the same name"

@LilYawney 

The code returns the expected result in my file. Can you attach your file without sensitive data?

worksheet change.JPG

@OliverScheurich 

Sorry for the delayed response but here's a copy of the MPL Spreadsheet without any sensitive information!

best response confirmed by LilYawney (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@LilYawney 

I've added the worksheet change event to your worksheet "Master Project List" for entries in range M6:M200. If i enter a value in any of these cells the current date and time is entered in the adjacent cell of column N.

worksheet change.JPG

That worked perfectly! Thank you!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by LilYawney (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@LilYawney 

I've added the worksheet change event to your worksheet "Master Project List" for entries in range M6:M200. If i enter a value in any of these cells the current date and time is entered in the adjacent cell of column N.

worksheet change.JPG

View solution in original post