SOLVED

SUMIFS

Copper Contributor
I’m needing to build a formula that’s able to sum multiple cells that have the same value in them for multiple specific dates, and each date is repeated multiple times in multiple cells. The formula needs to be able to tell me how many total hours were worked on each date, but only for people who worked 8.5 hours.
4 Replies
best response confirmed by Mkeller3 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

This a picture of my excel spreadsheet that I'm trying to build the formula for that can sum multiple cells that have the same value in them (8.5), but for each separate date. So I need to know the total amount of hours that were worked on August 21, 2019, but only for people who worked 8.5 hours on that date. The formula will need to be able to work for the dates following August 21st as well, and so on. 

@mkeller37 You marked your follow-up question as "Best response", though I take it that you still need an answer.

Look into using a pivot table. It will allow you to create the summary you describe without complicated formulae. Attached is an example. If you are not familiar with pivot tables, you can find many resources  and tutorials on-line.

Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 06.46.32.png

@Mkeller3 

If with formulas

image.png

D12:
=UNIQUE(A2:INDEX(A:A,COUNTA(A:A)-1))

E12:
=SUMIFS(B2:B30,A2:A30,D12#,B2:B30,8.5)
Thanks for the help, this worked great!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Mkeller3 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

This a picture of my excel spreadsheet that I'm trying to build the formula for that can sum multiple cells that have the same value in them (8.5), but for each separate date. So I need to know the total amount of hours that were worked on August 21, 2019, but only for people who worked 8.5 hours on that date. The formula will need to be able to work for the dates following August 21st as well, and so on. 

View solution in original post