Stockhistory Mutual Fund Performance Accuracy

Copper Contributor

Good afternoon:

I've noticed that the performance data that the Stockhistory function returns for mutual funds is not correct. For example, the Stockhistory YTD performance for VSCAX shows as 15.03% through 3/1/21.  I compared that to two other sources that indicate the performance for VSCAX is 18.83% through 3/1/21.

Is this a known issue and is it being addressed?

Thanks!  

3 Replies
I'm asking around internally to see what's up. That number 15.03% matches what I'm seeing Google, and Bing report from Refinitiv. But like you I see different numbers from other sources, and doing my own calculation it should be closer to like 20%? I'm not an expert, but I'm looking into if this is a data discrepancy.
Thanks for looking into this. Perhaps there is a different method used for calculating YTD performance. By the way, this is just one of numerous examples of where there is a difference between what STOCKHISTORY shows and what other sources (such as Morningstar.com) show. I look forward to learn your findings.
The price that the stockhistory function returns doesn't adjust for dividends and other distributions - this is why you see a difference in performance. I reported this a long time ago, I see this thread is old, I came here searching to see if Microsoft fixed this. Until they do, beware that you CANNOT use this function to see performance of anything that pays any kind of distribution.