Slow excel tables

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone. I have a macbook pro 2015 late. This macbook is supposed to be very fast on any office 365 programs :( That's why i bought it. I'm working on excel, making tables. The problem is the table that I made is very slow while filling the cells. i always get rainbow and sometimes wait 1 minute to continue( Just open the excel my excel table and click POLİKLİNİK TABLOSU and go last line. After that try to fill cell by sell like others. By the way sorry this table is Turkish ) . After that i try to save it. But guess, what rainbow again :( I don't know what to do . I feel stuck in it. I tried to reinstall office. Nothing changed. I also tried this table with brand new macbook pro 2017 :( It is still slow . Please help me. If i can't solve this problem, I will have to sell my mac and return the windows :( I tried everything i know. Please help me. İf necessary i can send this table via mail :)

2 Replies
please helpp . I could not upload my file. Because it's size is more than 75 mb :( . I can send it via mail :(

I replied to you in PM.

also listing the issues here as well

1. many of worksheets has unused unnecessary formatting and styles that caused the workbook size to grow huge. for example whole row and whole column formatting is used where it is not necessary, especially when you have Excel Tables.  
  2. the second biggest problem is using the named ranges which references millions of cells unnecessarily for example  named range xxxxxx which was used inside many VLOOKUP formulas has a reference of  ='xxxxx.'!$B$2:$AD$1048364  now if you count from column B to column AD it is 29 columns and the number of rows are 1048364 that means 29x1048364= 29 Millions of cells are pushed for calculations that sucks the memory. Instead you could set up dynamic range or simply use Excel tables structural references which has the feature of dynamic range and this will significantly improve the calculation time and make your workbook much faster
  3. Part of workbook is also corrupt, meaning some formulas are broken and are not functioning properly, so you need to find and fix those formulas.  I have attached a version of workbook which has deleted excessive formatting and removed the formulas that were corrupted and could not be recovered (you can look at this workbook and analyse what is missing and you would notice how fast this workbook opens and works)
  4. Your Workbook has many broken links and named ranges with errors. I have attached a separate workbook with listed named range report for your easy reference. Also the workbook cells are linked to another workbooks from OneDrive. You can fix the error by checking the source data and correcting them, if those named ranges are not needed you can get rid of them. also, possibliy if you could avoid using the values from other workbooks that are saved in OneDrive which will cause the links to be popped for update, you do not need to have links to values in other files unless you really have to.

Also the macros that are available in the workbook are ineffective, these VBA codes are generated from macro recorder which is not cleaned up and it has a lot of unnecessary steps that aren’t needed and can be eliminated.