Saving an Excel file as a password-protected pdf

Copper Contributor

I have been using Excel in Office 2016 (and earlier versions of Excel) for many years on Windows 7.  I recently upgraded to Win 10.  I have an Excel file that is password protected.  For years I have saved it as a password protected pdf so that I can carry it around on my iPhone.  Now, when I save it as a pdf, the password protection is lost.  I have tried using the File/Export/Create PDF function, but the Options menu does not offer me the password feature.  Any suggestions?

9 Replies
You can re-apply password to the workbook.

1. Click on the File tab
2. Click on Info
3. Protect Workbook dropdown
4. Encrypt with Password

Then you enter the password twice. Save and close the Workbook
Next time you open the workbook, it will request for password.

I hope this answers your question

@Abiola1 

Hi Abiola,

Thanks for the reply.  My problem is not with the password-protected Excel file.  My problem is with the pdf file.  When it saves as a pdf, the password protection is eliminated.  If I want to pay Adobe an exorbitant fee, I can rent the function on Adobe, but I would rather have it come through as part of Excel.

As I said, I have used the “Save As PDF” function on Excel for years, and it has always kept the password used on the Excel file.  Now, after installing Windows 10 on my computer, it doesn’t.

Frank

@fjbruni - just ran into the same issue.  In Word I can save to PDF and password protect it, but in Excel I can't.  Did you ever figure out how to do it?

@BobBloemen After saving it as a PDF, upload and download it from this website to password protect it:  https://smallpdf.com/protect-pdf 

@fjbruni 

After they convert the file to PDF.

Open the PDF file Select "Protection"* → "Encrypt" → "Encrypt with password"

via the tool selection (*depending on the version also tab "Display" → "Tools" → "Protection")

Enter a first password for opening the document in the dialog window that opens

(Tip: for compatibility, click on the oldest possible if the recipient does not have a current Acrobat version).

Repeat password entry Click OK, done

NikolinoDE

@Abiola1 

I tried this and emailed the file. Still had no pwd protection. 

@fjbruni From 2yrs ago you may have long since found a work-around.  If anyone is searching as I was, you may use Adobe's online (free) tool, sign-in not required --- https://www.adobe.com/ca/acrobat/online/password-protect-pdf.html

@sereenlee I tried this link, and the first time it worked.  But when I tried a second file, it wouldn't proceed unless I signed up for an account or for a free trial.

@fjbruni   I am having the same issue.   Can't save a protected excel file to pdf and have it retain the password.   Can't save an unprotected excel file to pdf and add a password during the process.   Easily able to do this in Word.   Would really like to do this just as easily in Excel.   Without resorting to a paid Adobe license.   Any new suggestions?