Problem with excel not recognising decimals in formula/date formatting issue

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I need some urgent help!

Today my excel has started turning all decimal points to dates. It isn't recognising decimal points in cells or when included as part of a formula. I have formatted the cells for numbers, but it isn't helping. In cells where I want decimals, excel is turning them in to number date sequences (i.e. 6.5 becomes 44322), and even within a formula in a cell, excel isn't recognising the decimal points as part of the formula because it is assuming it's a date. 

I'm not an excel wizard by a long shot, I have googled everything, tried what I know and nothing seems to be working. It is almost as if the file has a master setting put on it to format everything as a date, regardless of the format of the specific cell. 

Can anyone please help? I'm at my wits end!

1 Reply

@Scott1200 Your Excel recognises 6.5 as 6 May (= day number 44322). Have you, by any chance, recently updated your MacOS that, perhaps accidentally changed language and regional settings (under Apple logo, System Preferences..., Language & Region, Advanced..., Dates?

And check the number settings as well. If the decimal point is seen as a date separator, your decimal "point" me be a comma.