SOLVED

Porting an Excel VBA application from Windows to Mac

Brass Contributor

I have Office 365 on a PC running Windows 11 and on a Mac Mini running Sonoma. I develop on Widows. After testing thoroughly, I copy the .xlsm file over to Mac for testing there. I have been doing this for several years, and have gone through many rounds of testing on both Windows and Mac. But something seems to have changed recently.

Today, I ran the application on Mac in the usual way by double clicking the .xlsm file that I just brought over from the PC. The application halted with an Overflow error. In the Debugger, this was the problem line:

Dim i as Integer

i = 77

OK, that shouldn't overflow, should it? I was able to execute the line in the debugger without raising the overflow error. But when I let the program to run, it halted with an overflow at some other trivial assignment. Same story: single stepping in the debugger does not raise the error.

After trying several random things, I decided to launch Excel in a different way. I opened Finder, went to Applications, and double clicked Excel.app. In the Open window, I chose my .xlsm file. Now the application runs faultlessly with no runtime errors. To make sure it wasn't a fluke, I ran the test several times this way and it worked every time.

My question is this: On a Mac, what's the difference between (1) double-clicking an .xlsm file and (2) running Excel.app and then selecting the .xlsm file in the Open window?

6 Replies
I don't know the answer I'm afraid. Does it help to clean the VBA project?
How do you recommend cleaning the project? Is there a tool you recommend?
best response confirmed by perkin_warbeck (Brass Contributor)
Solution
The only tool I know of only works in 32 bit Office. You can clean a project manually like this:
- Save-as the file as xlsx (yes, the VBA code is lost, this is on purpose)
- Close and reopen the newly saved file and the original one with the code
- Drag all modules, userform and class modules from the xlsm to the xlsx
- Copy code from all sheet modules to the appropriate sheet modules of the xlsx
- Copy code in ThisWorkbook too.
- Make sure the correct references are set
- Save As the xlsx to xlsm
You could also use this tool to copy the VBA project from the xlsm to the xlsx: https://jkp-ads.com/download.asp#CopyVBAProject
Thank you for your suggestion, and for the link to CopyVBAProject. It sounds like a very sensible approach. I will try it.
I installed your CopyVBAProject Add-In in an otherwise empty workbook which I called Cleaner.xlsx. I opened the Source workbbok (an .xlsm) and the Target workbook (an .xlsx) and then clicked on the Add-In. In the user form, I selected the source workbook from the dropdown menu. But as soon as I clicked the Target workbook, the form code runs (I was not given a chance to click OK) and hit an error which causes execution to Stop with Err.Number = 1004. The line that causes the error is
```
For Each oComp in SourceBook.VBProject.VBComponents
```
By the way, the target workbook is the same as the source workbook, but was saved as an .xlsx to remove all VBA code, as you suggested.
You must turn on "Allow Access to the VBAProject object model" in Excel Options, Trust center, Trust center settings, Macro settings.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by perkin_warbeck (Brass Contributor)
Solution
The only tool I know of only works in 32 bit Office. You can clean a project manually like this:
- Save-as the file as xlsx (yes, the VBA code is lost, this is on purpose)
- Close and reopen the newly saved file and the original one with the code
- Drag all modules, userform and class modules from the xlsm to the xlsx
- Copy code from all sheet modules to the appropriate sheet modules of the xlsx
- Copy code in ThisWorkbook too.
- Make sure the correct references are set
- Save As the xlsx to xlsm
You could also use this tool to copy the VBA project from the xlsm to the xlsx: https://jkp-ads.com/download.asp#CopyVBAProject

View solution in original post