My enter button in Excel 365 does not cause the cell to go down? How can I fix this

Copper Contributor

When I press the enter button in Excel 365, the cell does not move down? I am using a mac

10 Replies

@excelhelp10154543545 

For Excel 365 Desktop version (Windows) that's within File->Options

No such option for Excel Online

Not sure about other platforms with 365

@Sergei Baklan I'm using a mac. There is no 'options'. I click on preferences and the attached comes up but no enter keyScreenshot 2020-11-13 at 17.12.42.png

options?

@excelhelp10154543545 

Click on Edit in the Preferences window.

Pref.png

You'll find 'After pressing Return, move selection' under 'Edit Options'.

These options don't appear for me. I'm using Office365 in a browser (Chrome) and under File > Options all I have is "Regional Format Settings".
If I click the cog at the top right, I get "Language & Time Zone", "Password", "Contact Prefences", "Accessibility".
Having the cursor move when I press Enter is very frustrating because it moves my view of the whole spreadsheet, and when I'm presenting this is very annoying.

@DWilson_Horr 

Excel for web practically has no customization. There are no other options except Regional settings.

In my case there's something strange. I change the direction option to down from right (default option) and it works but only until the next computer reboot. Excel version 2309 and Windows 11 21H2.