SOLVED

Mouse wheel not working on some sheets

Brass Contributor

One user reported this morning that the scroll wheel on her mouse would not let her scroll vertically on some sheets in multiple workbooks. These same workbooks work on most other computers.

Two more users this afternoon have also reported the same issue that was not present yesterday.

Have tried:

• Repairing Excel
  • Reinstalling Excel
  • Restarting Computer
  • Replaced mouse
  • Logged in as another user on affected machine, issue still present
  • Unfreezing panes, as suggested in Google search results
  • Scroll lock is turned off

Is there an issue with a new update that i'm not aware of? I can't see any mention of it.

25 Replies

@typicalalex1 

I am also experiencing a very specific new issue with my mouse:

• I can't scroll "multiple lines" with the mouse wheel in Excel
  • I can scroll "one screen at a time"
  • It only affects Excel
  • It only affects previously created sheets - a newly created sheet was not affected
  • Scroll lock, freeze panes and other known issues are NOT at fault
  • I can scroll horizontally using shift control
  • It's not the mouse or drivers - I re-installed both
  • I have searched extensively for an answer to no avail - it has to be a previously undocumented problem
  • Looking forward to an answer!!!

@typicalalex1 This is also an issue for a number of our users on specific excel workbooks and sheets, where cells are not frozen and where the issue was not present before. 

best response confirmed by typicalalex1 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@mweaver77 I've found the reason for the issue i have been facing but i haven't found out why this has suddenly become a problem. Obviously an update of some kind as more and more users have been reporting this issue.

The issue for me is down to hidden rows and their row heights.

I found that the hidden rows at the bottom of the worksheets all had a height of 0px. Un-hiding these rows and changing their height fixed the issue.

These spreadsheets are generated from a template and nothing has changed with them for several months but suddenly the hidden rows are causing an issue.

Sounds slightly different to my issue as i was not able to scroll at all, and you were able to scroll one screen at a time. I assume you have checked the mouse setting that can be switched between "Multiple lines" and "One screen at a time"?
Thank you - this fixed the problem. We had same issue in a template file.
Yes, tried it all, short of uninstalling and reinstalling. I'm currently 1 line at a time. This means no scrolling in Excel. If I switch to "one screen at a time" , the rapid scroll of course applies to all programs. This is something that changed overnight beyond my settings. It's really frustrating and hope it gets fixed soon!
Thank you. It works.

@typicalalex1 Thanks very much. I discovered that when I unhid the rows at the bottom of my sheet the issue was fixed. Thanks...

THANK YOU - I selected the entire page and adjust the height of my rows. This seemed to fix the issue. @typicalalex1 

@typicalalex1 It worked for me! Thank you! I selected all the lines and changed the height. After that, the hidden lines where shown, and I could scroll up and down. Then I hidded the lines again.

Appreciate it! It Worked.

@typicalalex1 

In 365.  This worked. Thanks.  Multiple sheets in one workbook decided to not vertically scroll with mouse.  I had hidden rows, so highlighted each sheet then unhide.  I noticed that the full number of rows was not available / visible. Should be 1,048,576. 

I then clicked the top left box to highlight the entire sheet and scaled all the rows with the mouse.  Now all 1M plus rows are visible and vertical scrolling works.  

Thanks for the "fix".  Nicely done.

No reason or logic behind why it happened. One day all sheets would vertically scroll with Logitech M705. The next some would not.  Anyway, it all works now.  Thanks again and hope this helps others.

Thanks for the solutions, unfortunately this does not work with tables that have a sheet protection. I can't expect my customers to give me the password for the sheet protection. Can anyone tell me where I can create a bug ticket?

@DKleadon   Understood. Can you ask them to give you a version, still protected, with column and row formatting enabled?  That might work.  It is a check box option in the sheet protection dropdown.

@Tom__AMDa that's a good tip! 
But this can't be the final solution.

It would be enough for me if Microsoft takes note of the problem.

Completely agree. Somehow new functionality continues to pop up that decreases the utility of a great tool. Horizontal auto sum used to work. Now only vertical. Sigh........
Right. Come on @Pernille-Eskebo
Same issue. Couldn't find a proper solution.
What I did is copy and paste the data to a new sheet. But there should be a solution to it.

@Tom__AMD - Well, that is an odd solution and just tells you to what level MS goes with the validation and verification processes.  Glad we finaly have a solution. Thanks for those that kept pushing on...I honestly just gave up and hoped for a fix whenever MS secretly updates our stuff. :)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by typicalalex1 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@mweaver77 I've found the reason for the issue i have been facing but i haven't found out why this has suddenly become a problem. Obviously an update of some kind as more and more users have been reporting this issue.

The issue for me is down to hidden rows and their row heights.

I found that the hidden rows at the bottom of the worksheets all had a height of 0px. Un-hiding these rows and changing their height fixed the issue.

These spreadsheets are generated from a template and nothing has changed with them for several months but suddenly the hidden rows are causing an issue.

View solution in original post