Line space in a cell

Copper Contributor

Every time I try to put in a new line of text in a single cell (Alt+Enter), it always freezes the Excel sheet and I have to come out and start again.  Why is this and what can I do to make it work?

4 Replies

@OldBean 

A question that automatically arises is whether this problem only occurs with certain worksheets or workbooks? ...and not only.

You can try the following beforehand

Install the latest update

Repair Office programs

Start Office applications in safe mode

Identify possible problems with the add-in

Check if the file was created by a third party

Hope I was able to help you with this info.

If this not helps…

With your permission, I recommend to provide more information.

You'll get a quicker and more accurate answer, and those who want to help don't have to invest time guessing the problem.

I recommend: Always inform about your Excel version, operating system, storage medium/hard drive, OneDrive, Sharepoint, etc.).

If possible, add a file (without sensitive data) and use this file to describe your project step by step, or add photos with the appropriate description.

Drag and drop here or browse files to attach
Maximum size: 71 MB • Maximum attachments allowed: 5

Don't forget that not every Excel user has a clue about every job and what you see he can't see.

In this link you will find some more information about it:

Welcome to your Excel discussion space!

Thank you for your understanding and patience

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@NikolinoDE 

I repair the Office program and also started the excel sheet in safe mode, but the problem hasn't been resolved.

I have Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 version.  I am using Windows 10.  I've attached a file that I'm trying to put in another row of text in a cell, which locks up the file whenever I try.

Is that enough information?

@OldBean 

Downloaded your file and tried ALT+Enter in many cells with no problem.

The line break works without problems. It not hangs or freezes no matter how I claim it.

Have you also tried these options?

Update Windows 10 with Update Assistant

Install the latest update

Repair Office programs

Start Office applications in safe mode

Identify possible problems with the add-in

Uninstall all add inns and try the file again

Don't forget....

The support for Office 2010 is ended 

If your version of Office 2010 is managed by your work or school, contact your IT Help Desk about how to upgrade. Your IT department will likely have their own upgrade plan.

If you're using Office 2010 at home, you'll still be able to use it, but we recommend you upgrade to a newer version of Office so you can stay up to date with all the latest features, patches, and security updates. To learn more about upgrading see How do I upgrade Office?

A solution you can, in my opinion, if you are using a newer Office version, look in Microoft Store there you can buy a  newer version according to your needs, you can also use the free web version, or you can contact your Contact your educational institution if you can get a student version there. With Office 2010 you will continue to have to deal with various bugs in the future and there are no updates and support to be expected.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

Thank you for your help. I'll probably buy an updated version.