How To Automatically Move Row In Excel Based On Date

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

In an excel file, how could I move a row based on the date.

I work with customer accounts and tend to need to focus on accounts when they're 3 & 6 months from ending respectively. My current set up in Excel means I have to manually copy & insert copied cells which I think is time consuming, is there a way I can set my sheet so the rows automatically move whenever they fall within a certain date window? Screenshot attached to give some clarity - thanks all. 

ExcelAssist.PNG

2 Replies

@Dharma01 

Screenshot gives, as you say, "some clarity," with emphasis on "some."

A lot more helpful would be a copy of the spreadsheet itself. My thought based on your description more than on the image is that what you may need is a different approach altogether--to use what is often called a "dashboard" sheet. But what would be important to know (that your image doesn't show) is what kind of underlying database or set of records are you moving those rows from in the first place.

Excel can do a good job of extracting data -- not moving it -- based on criteria like "months remaining" or whatever, displaying those extracted rows, copies actually, where you need them. You're right to ask whether there are more efficient ways to do this; but it will help folks here help you if you can post a full spreadsheet so the way you're tracking, etc., is more apparent. Not just the desired final result.

@Dharma01 

As a starting point:
Try to use the helpful feature called: "Advandced Filter".
It will help you to filter out (in the source table OR copy, the requested records, to "another place".
You will have to concentrate on how to use "Criterias
I'm sure you will find and manage learn this part, of Excel, by Googling.

-------------------------------------------- 
Michael (Micky) Avidan
“Microsoft®” MVP – Excel (2009-2022)
ISRAEL