How do I mirror cells from one master spreadsheet onto other tabs?

Copper Contributor

I am a teacher in a secondary school and I am hoping to be able to create a master spreadsheet which holds the data for my students (which will be organised alphabetically) that I can populate with data on the master copy. I then wish that data to mirror itself onto different pages that are broken down by class teacher so that I'm not writing it all twice. I'm all over the VLOOKUP formulas and all that - is there is a similar one that I can use to do this so that when I enter a figure such as a mark out 10 for a question, it automatically populates this onto the relevant tab for that same student?

I cannot share data examples for obvious GDPR reasons.

I hope that makes sense. I assume it will not be straightforward, but I would give it a go.

Grateful for any help,

Jess Walker

1 Reply

@JessicaWalker 

Hi, Jess. You may not be able, for privacy reasons, to share actual copies of your actual spreadsheet, but you could share a mockup--just change names and any other identifiable data, and make it more limited. Use names of StarWars or Disney characters...

That said, sight unseen, you might well benefit from the newly added FILTER function. It does require the most recent version of Excel. Here's an excellent video that introduces it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I9DtFOVPIg

Learn everything about our brand-new Dynamic Arrays and how you can use them to build advanced spreadsheets. Arrays (CSE) have long been present in Excel, but were limited to power users. With Dynamic Arrays we have rebuilt the calc engine, effectively turning all formulas into array formulas ...