Hide error strings

Copper Contributor

Hi, I am trying to hide error string messages in a formula cell when it calls on data from a cell that is blank. The formula needs data from 2 cells and when I fill in 1 of the cells, the error messages are shown until the data is entered into the other cell. Is there a way to hide these strings?

JoeRock_1-1582725185695.png

11 Replies

@JoeRock 

The simple answer is "Yes"

In fact, there are probably several ways to do it. Can you upload your actual file (or a sample of it) so that I or someone else can give a specific recommendation?

In the absence of that, let me recommend that you research functions like IFERROR or IFNA as potential solutions. You might be able to resolve this totally on your own through one of those.

@mathetes Thanks, here is a sample piece.

@JoeRock There is no error! You formula in C5 merely returns a value of -$177,775,00. The column width is simple not large enough the display that number. See below.

Screenshot 2020-02-26 at 21.29.18.png

@Riny_van_Eekelen Thank you for that info. I guess the question now would be: Is there a way to hide the info in C4 and C5 unless both C2 and C3 have data entered into them?

@JoeRock 

C4

=IF(COUNT(C2:C3)=2,(C3-C2)/0.25,"")
C5

=IF(COUNT(C2:C3)=2,C4*12.5,""))

@JoeRock 

In C4:

=IF(OR(ISBLANK(C2),ISBLANK(C3)),"",(C3-C2)/0.25)

in C5:

=IF(OR(ISBLANK(C2),ISBLANK(C3)),"",C4*12.5)

.... or see attached. Although, I note that C3 is not part of any of your formulae, so C3 being blank or not has no impact..

Edit: Corrected the first formula!

@Riny_van_Eekelen Must have accidentally overwritten part of the formula in C4. Hence, my comment that C3 is not part of any formula.

@Riny_van_Eekelen Thank you so much for all your help. It worked, but I wanted the original values of 0 for C4 & $0.00 for C5 to be present even when C2 & C3 were blank. I figured out by putting the values in the quotes that it does the job. So this is what they look like now.

C4:  =IF(OR(ISBLANK(C2),ISBLANK(C3)),"0",(C3-C2)/0.25)

C5:  =IF(OR(ISBLANK(C2),ISBLANK(C3)),"$0.00",C4*12.5)

It seems to work. If you see anything wrong with it please let me know.

Again thanks so much for your help!!

@JoeRock That would work fine. Though, putting the 0 or the $0,00 between quotes ("") makes them texts. You can skip the quotes if you want to return the number -zero- (formatted as $, if you want) as values.

@Riny_van_Eekelen so then it would look like this?

C4:  =IF(OR(ISBLANK(C2),ISBLANK(C3)),,(C3-C2)/0.25)

C5:  =IF(OR(ISBLANK(C2),ISBLANK(C3)),,C4*12.5)

This way the cell retains it's number format. Is that correct.

Thanks JoeRock

@JoeRock I meant this:

C4:  =IF(OR(ISBLANK(C2),ISBLANK(C3)),0,(C3-C2)/0.25)

C5:  =IF(OR(ISBLANK(C2),ISBLANK(C3)),0,C4*12.5)

and then display C5, using the Currency format, as dollar.