Help With Consolidation Automation

Copper Contributor

I have what I hope is a relatively easy problem. It's basic stats compilation. A single player may play multiple years and multiple games in each year. After each game, I will enter the game's stats for each player, in this example only hits. What I'm hoping for is for excel to consolidate automatically each player's games into a single year entry, and then consolidate a player's multiple years into one total sum for each player. in short, I add a game's stats for a player, and the player's single year and all-years total automatically updates.

I can use the consolidation feature to manually do this, but that wouldn't be feasible if I'm adding an entire team's stats after each game and wanting the single year and all-years totals to update in real time. I hope someone smarter than me can make quick work of this problem.

jcp1417_0-1635385460676.png

3 Replies

@jcp1417 Not sure where your summary data comes from and assume they are just examples. Use a pivot table off the "Single Game" data (made it into a structured table). Add scores at the bottom of the table (will automatically expand) and refresh the pivot table. Done!

See attached,

Whoops, thanks for pointing out my data was wrong. When I set up the consolidation ranges, I was forgetting to delete the old one, so it was double counting. I've re-added the file with correct numbers.

I'm not sure if your pivot table is really what I needed. It works to sum up data, but if I have hundreds of games over 20 seasons with a dozen players per game, I cannot easily see the top 5 hitting seasons or the top 5 all time hits leaders

@jcp1417 Well, the pivot table summary provides the exact same result as your consolidation. You didn't mention "Top 5" before, but pivot tables can be sorted as well. So it becomes easier to see who are the best hitters. But why not upload something that resembles the real data (more years, more players, more games). And if you really have a lot of data, perhaps PowerQuery can help transforming it into something manageable. Can't tell until you clarify.