SOLVED

Formulas ($ and % signs, Decimals, Cell references)

Copper Contributor

[B]Just a few basic issues when I use formulas in Excel:[/B]

1. A $ sign sometimes appears in the cell even though the cells in the formula do not have $ signs.

2. How can you add a % sign?

3. How can you get rid of decimals?

[U]Obviously you cannot just add or delete the above as cell results are automatic with formulas.[/U]

4. I am mostly using relative cell references (as you probably know, formulas adjust as they are copied), but want to copy a group of formulas and not have them adjust (absolute cell references). I looked this up and it said to select the reference you want to change in the formula bar and press F4, but I could not see where you select the reference. How do you do this or is there another way to do it?

1 Reply
best response confirmed by peterholt110 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@peterholt110 

1,2,3: There are two ways to easily adjust number formats. The first is on the "Home" tool bar, the section that looks like this (except a lot smaller), toward the center of the screen. The icons are pretty self-explanatory, and by clicking on the box showing "General" you get a more extensive set of choices. Change the number of decimal places by those two marked with an arrow in the image below.

mathetes_0-1629890764573.png

The other place you can accomplish the same is in the main menu up at the top of your screen, Format...Cells...

mathetes_2-1629891002931.png

which takes you to this dialog box

mathetes_1-1629890943448.png

4. You select a reference in a formula by just placing your cursor on it. Then pressing F4 will cycle through the options, the different degrees of absolute:

• Absolute in row and column $A$1
  • Absolute in row but relative in column A$1
  • Absolute in column but relative in row $A1
  • and fully relative A1

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by peterholt110 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@peterholt110 

1,2,3: There are two ways to easily adjust number formats. The first is on the "Home" tool bar, the section that looks like this (except a lot smaller), toward the center of the screen. The icons are pretty self-explanatory, and by clicking on the box showing "General" you get a more extensive set of choices. Change the number of decimal places by those two marked with an arrow in the image below.

mathetes_0-1629890764573.png

The other place you can accomplish the same is in the main menu up at the top of your screen, Format...Cells...

mathetes_2-1629891002931.png

which takes you to this dialog box

mathetes_1-1629890943448.png

4. You select a reference in a formula by just placing your cursor on it. Then pressing F4 will cycle through the options, the different degrees of absolute:

• Absolute in row and column $A$1
  • Absolute in row but relative in column A$1
  • Absolute in column but relative in row $A1
  • and fully relative A1

View solution in original post