formula or function How to sort a payroll report

Brass Contributor

I have imported a payroll report to Excell

However, the regular ''OT'' and Total are in the same column on other rows

I want a formula or function to put it on the same row in different columns 

see attached what I did manually in column H I j

7 Replies

I  asked a similar question here
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel/is-there-a-formula-or-function/td-p/3616173 
I got an answer from @dscheikey to use =Filter () however it doesn't work here since I want it should stay on the same row just on a different column
I also got from @mtarler it might work for me here, however, it is a long formula, I am sure there are more simple ones

@wanalearn 

I think @mtarler 's solution from the other discussion is a good one.  If length is an issue, you could fold the formula into a 'Payroll' Lambda where only the table or range is needed:

=Payroll(Table1)

Patrick2788_0-1676404167209.png

If this works for you, please give credit to Matt for that formula from September.

can you explain how to fold it in a Payroll Lambada

@wanalearn 

Take the original formula:

=LET(in,Table1, names,SCAN("",INDEX(in,,1),LAMBDA(prev,this,IF(this="",prev,this))), lines,SCAN(0,INDEX(in,,2),LAMBDA(prev,this,IF(this="Regular",prev+1,prev))), MAKEARRAY(MAX(lines),9,LAMBDA(r,c,IF(c<2,INDEX(FILTER(names,lines=r),1),IF(c<5,FILTER(INDEX(in,,c+1),(lines=r)*(INDEX(in,,2)="Regular")),IF(c<8,FILTER(INDEX(in,,c-2),(lines=r)*(INDEX(in,,2)="Overtime"),""),FILTER(INDEX(in,,2*c-13),(lines=r)*(INDEX(in,,2)="Total Earnings"),"")))))))

Store it in the name manager as 'Payroll'

=LAMBDA(table_or_range,LET(in,table_or_range, names,SCAN("",INDEX(in,,1),LAMBDA(prev,this,IF(this="",prev,this))), lines,SCAN(0,INDEX(in,,2),LAMBDA(prev,this,IF(this="Regular",prev+1,prev))), MAKEARRAY(MAX(lines),9,LAMBDA(r,c,IF(c<2,INDEX(FILTER(names,lines=r),1),IF(c<5,FILTER(INDEX(in,,c+1),(lines=r)*(INDEX(in,,2)="Regular")),IF(c<8,FILTER(INDEX(in,,c-2),(lines=r)*(INDEX(in,,2)="Overtime"),""),FILTER(INDEX(in,,2*c-13),(lines=r)*(INDEX(in,,2)="Total Earnings"),""))))))))

Then you may use Payroll at the sheet level. It's in the workbook I attached above.

I am not so familiar with all these formulas
However, it looked like this formula is custom to this sheet. Is it true?
And if so which part? and how I can customize it for a similar situation in other words what is the syntax and what not
so "custom to this sheet" yes the LAMBDA is define in that workbook and therefore can only be used in this workbook unless you copy it/define it in another workbook. This LAMBDA uses only 'standard' worksheet formulas and a couple of items from the sheet. So anything that is all CAPS is a worksheet function and it appears that all of the lowercase items are internally defined variables and the only 'sheet specific' items are things inside quotes "". So things like:
"Regular" and "Overtime" and "Total Earnings". It also has 'sheet specific' values for expecting things in a certain order like INDEX(in,,1) is used to look at the first column and expects that column to be the names. I don't know if that answer you questions or how to make it most flexible for you.

@mtarler 

thanks for your answer I will respond to you on the other discussion where I want to clarify my questions