Filters, one of the biggest issues of our company of sharepoint

Copper Contributor

Hello!

Our company works with a big database in excel with several people working at the same time in the same sheet.

We always worked with "shared workbook (old version) " on our own shared disk.

The problem with this is ofcourse that you cannot work from home or at other locations.

The answer to that is ofcourse sharepoint for businesses!

One of the biggest problems that we where facing was filters and syncronicing.

First we tried desktop sharepoint, because the filter option stais the same.

The first problem was, if someone started up his PC, and opended the excel database before onedrive had syncronised, he/she will work in a offline document and for some reason stayed offline until he/she will manualy save the document and get an error saying that someone else has already saved something. Then we manualy need to combine the 2 databases every time this happens.

The second problem was filtering. if someone wanted to search for something in the filter system, everybody else gets that same screen, which is not workable with 3 people working at the same time in differned cells.

Then we tried the WEB version of sharepoint with excel.

with the new view mode we counter the filter problem of the desktop filter!

however, the problem with the filter options of the WEB version is that we cannot easely search for every word/ number (normal searchbar in filters is not in the WEB verison).  we can counter this by using filter options "contains" and by number ''is equal to".
Then the next problem accured, every time we use the filter, we manualy need to go to the top row of the whole database to find our filtered numbers/words, then if we are finished we need to manualy go back to where we were, which normaly at this point is between cell number 11901 - 12543. so not easy to get manualy to. i tried severol things to counter this such as pageup/down, ctrl end/home.

but with all those work arounds, its was better for us to go back to the "shared workbook (old version) ".

Are here people with the same problems we are facing? 

Are there any fixes for this? or any future updates that fixes these problems?

3 Replies

hello @Skoets 

Depending on the content in your excel file (mostly list vs heavy formulas) you might want to consider converting to a custom SharePoint list. You can still do some calculated fields, but you would not be able to do complex formulas.

These are great for allowing multiple users to access and make updates while working off "one version of the truth" which is much better than individual copies of excel files.

You can create as many custom views of the list to pre-filter, group and sort (even sub-total by groups). And even after all that, you can sort and filter by the column headings.

Hi @HCole718 

Thank you for the reaction!

Indeed we use some formulas for each row: = VLOOKUP (C; Codes! $ A $: $ F $; 2.0) 4 times for different cells in the same row and some calculations.

I assume i need to work with powerapps for this to work for a custom SharePoint list?

I've never processed with Power apps, but if it works the way we want it to, it's a good idea to follow some classes.

But then i need to be sure it will work for us...

any ideas?

(I have added a screenshot of one of our databases)

Hi,

Still havent found a solution to this.