Excel won't let me enter formula

Copper Contributor
I have tried literally everything to fix this formula and It still hasn't worked. This is the exact formula my professor gave me and she even said she doesn't know why excel won't allow it because I typed it correctly. Can anyone please help?? Im stressed out
4 Replies

@dianakay The formula in the photo seem to use structured table references, but are you indeed working with such structured tables where the column headers are exactly as used in the formula? That is, "Operating_Income" and "Net_Sales", both with the underscore.

Perhaps you can upload the workbook instead!

Hi! Thank you for responding! I have a picture of the directions that were included in the excel sheet on how to type the formula in. I just typed exactly what I was told and it wasn’t working, I even tried removing the @ sign but nothing seemed to work.

@dianakay I'm not doubting that you exactly did as instructed, but the message you showed in your first post indicated that something was entered in a way that Excel doesn't like or recognize.

Upload your workbook instead of huge PDFs, please.

@dianakay Just noticed now that the instruction does not include the underscore in the column names where the formula you tried to enter does have underscores. Furthermore, the green table in the instructions is indeed a structured tables where as the one you seem to be working on is not.