Excel on Windows PC to Macbook

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone would know or have any advice for me.

I am working with a nutritionist who has formulated an excel spreadsheet counting calories for me. She is working on a Windows PC (Laptop) and I am on a MacBook. When she sends the spreadsheet to me, when I open it, the formulas change on my side and are different from what she had inputted... How do I resolve this or how can she save it so it doesn't change when I open it? Or perhaps something I should do before opening it? TIA!!

3 Replies

@NakitaO_ 

If your nutritionist is on a more modern version it could be that she uses functions that are not supported by yours. This will show as errors on your side.

If you are using different language versions, the formulae will look different for both, but they will still work as intended. 

If this does not explain your situation, please give some explanation of how formulae change. What has your nutritionist typed and what do see on your end.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Thanks so much for your reply.

Below is how the formula it is supposed to be and how it is on the Windows OS as well as what it looks like when I open it... does this make any sense to you? Do you think it's a more modern version? Because it doesn't work when I open it on my MacBook...

MacBook: =C9+_xlfn.XLOOKUP(Female!C12;'drop down'!B2:B7;'drop down'!C2:C7)

{do you know what that _xlfn. Is?}

Windows (how it should be): =C9+XLOOKUP(Female!C12,'drop down'!B2:B7,'drop down'!C2:C7)

@NakitaO_ Thanks for the clarification. Your Excel for Mac version does not support the XLOOKUP function. Hence, the "_xlfn" addition to the formula. Ask your nutritionist to rewrite the formulae without XLOOKUP or do it yourself. Without being able to test it, that could be:

=C9+VLOOKUP(Female!C12,'drop down'!B2:C7,2,FALSE)

Here you can read more about XLOOKUP and which Excel versions support it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/xlookup-function-b7fd680e-6d10-43e6-84f9-88eae8bf5929