Excel: Locking 2 cells together that stay together no matter sort

Copper Contributor

I'm a novice with Excel. I have a ton of DVDs and VHSs and used to have them all categorized using numbers stuck on the movie case and an index card with the movie name in alpha order and the coordinating number written on the card. All that is long gone, but I still have all these movies of which I don't want to have to dig through to find the movie I want to watch. So I started building an Excel worksheet.

The first column is to be the name of the movie. The 2nd column is the number on the disk. The plan is that once I have all the movie data entered, I'd put the first column in alpha order, with the hope the 2nd column would travel with that particular movie. How can I do this? Remember, I'm a novice. Thank you for any help! I tried searching the community database, but nothing pertaining to my question came up.

1 Reply

@Charmie91752 

Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. No need to "lock" cells together. Just create a table, as you've described, Name, Number, Director, Lead, Year  (i.e., no need to limit yourself to two columns)

Then go to Data...Sort

Here, I created this table

mathetes_0-1655162704070.png

Then go to Data...Sort and fill in the resulting dialog box to sort by Name (it'll look like this)

mathetes_1-1655162800129.png

Note, if you want to, you can go back in and sort by any other column, or by a primary and a secondary sort, if, say, you wanted movies by the same director in order by year...

Anyway, that initial table sorted solely by name

mathetes_2-1655162887310.png

I've attached that spreadsheet for you to play with. Just make sure you keep adding rows to the existing table (you can also add columns. DO NOT leave empty rows.