Excel link format disappears

Copper Contributor

All of the links in my Excel Worksheet have lost the ability to connect to internet addresses. They still look like links, but do nothing

5 Replies

@peterjetbroadbandcom 

With your permission, if I may recommend, add a file (without sensitive data) and use this file to describe your problem step by step, or add photos with the appropriate description.  

You'll get a quicker and more accurate answer, and those who want to help don't have to invest time guessing the problem.

Always inform about your Excel version, operating system, storage medium/hard drive, OneDrive, Sharepoint, etc.).

Don't forget no one in this forum can see what you see.

In this link you will find some more information about it:

Welcome to your Excel discussion space!

Thank you for your understanding and patience

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@NikolinoDEHello! I'm not sure how you got my post because it was registry query meant for OS teckies. I probably hit a couple wrong buttons. May have left a trail everywhere in my quest for an answer. I would guess you are an Excel expert. While no kind of expert, I used to train government SES types in D.C.  That said I think you may know something about Windows 10 Pro OS. If not, you might forward this to someone you know who does. I got nowhere with Just answer. Spent a bunch! No one there could figure it out. Thank you for your time, be well.

There is a file that windows 10 creates & saves every time it shuts down. I have ended up with thousands of these "daily records". Someone once told me the steps to take in regedit to stop the daily save and where to go to delete all these files, and somehow lost it. I am looking for the steps in regedit to set this process to stop. It's a single command line in Regedit that goes al the way down to setting a value of yes or no. I am also in need of the location of these files and their names. Last time there were thousands of them created through five years of computer use. Now, these files have built up again and my computer is DRAGGING. I am told Windows reads all of these files every time I hit enter. This time, I'm going to write things down. Please Help!
Peter Hopkins
email address removed for privacy reasons

@peterjetbroadbandcom 

First of all, I recommend you to ask your question in this forum, as it is a Windows question :).

Windows

It's an Excel forum, but it might help if you describe the problem in more detail.

What are the files called? or what endings do they have? Any message displayed?

Which Windows version (command:  winver) are you using?

There are a number of registry entries in Windows where a program can be hidden that should be started when the system starts.

But you can open the task manager with [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[Esc] and see what's running.

The "Applications" and "Processes" tabs are interesting.

You can also deactivate the processes from the auto start in the task manager when you start the PC.

If anything suspicious is found there, we can then try looking for it in the registry if it's not in the startup folder.

You could then simply call up the program (Windows + G) and switch off the recording there (Adjust background recording settings on Windows).

FYI, I'm a simple user like many others here on the forum, just trying to learn and share my knowledge if desired :).

Thank you for your understanding and patience

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

I have the same problem - I paste a web URL into Excel, the link works fine (the Link Text is displayed)
But when I return to the Excel document next day, the link text is still displayed, but the link does not work. I have to paste the URL into Excel again.

Is there a specific format for Web links that I need to set?
It’s difficult to say why the hyperlink is being broken or removed without more information or the file. There could be several reasons for this behavior, such as changes to the file or its location, issues with the Excel program or file itself, or conflicts with other software or settings on your computer.
It’s also possible that the issue is related to the way the file is being saved or closed.

There are a few things you can try to fix the issue:

1. Check your security settings: In some cases, Excel may block hyperlinks due to security settings. You can check this by going to File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > External Content, and making sure that the security settings for hyperlinks are not set to “Disable all hyperlinks.”
2. Check the hyperlink format: Make sure that the hyperlinks are correctly formatted and include the “http://” or “https://” prefix.
3. Try saving the file in a different location or using a different file format (such as .xlsx instead of .xls).
4. You could also try disabling any add-ins or macros that may be affecting the file.
5. Repair the Office installation: If the issue persists, you may want to try repairing your Office installation by going to Control Panel > Programs and Features, selecting your Office installation, and clicking “Change” > “Repair.”
6. Check for updates: Make sure that your version of Excel is up-to-date by going to File > Account > Update Options and selecting “Update Now.”

I hope this helps! :)