Excel does not recognize some regencies from a province

Copper Contributor

Schermafbeelding 2024-01-30 123851.png

Hello!

I am working in excel and have to make a map like this about every province in Indonesia. Unfortunately Excel does not reconize every regency, but it's written in the right way. (So he does not select those gray boxes) Does anyone have a tip what I can do?

16 Replies
If you select the data in question and click on Data types, Geography, Excel should analyze all of them and tell you which it thinks are ambiguous.

@Jan Karel Pieterse But what can I do so that Excel will recongnize them?

@BasTimmers 

Map Charts is quite sensitive to column names and, of course, place names. I'd add Nort Sumatra as high level; for some regencies add regency into the name (Karo -> Karo regency).

image.png

Based on my practice this tool better works with texts, not with structured tables and/or rich data types. In opposite to Microsoft recommendations.

Well, that worked. Thanks! Can't you do that for every province in Indonesia ;) haha.

@BasTimmers , you are welcome.

Sorry, entire Indonesia takes time. Start yourself and if any concrete questions ask here, someone of us will try to help.

Hello! It has worked for every province except Papau province. Could you help me with this? It doesn't recognize quite a few regencies.

@BasTimmers 

If you mean Papua, I added couple of recencies for this province and they are shown

image.png

What exactly doesn't work?

@Sergei Baklan 

BasTimmers_0-1709193622040.png

Papua indeed. It does not recognize all regencies with a cross next to the table. I have succeeded in all provinces, except this one. If I add the two regencies below the table, the map jumps from Papua to all of Indonesia. Could you help me so that all regencies are recognized? And for Papua Barat the same...

@BasTimmers 

Could you please share the file? If you have no option to attach it to the post, when share on OneDrive, Google Disk, whatever, and give us the link. It's time consuming to repeat all steps from the scratch.

@BasTimmers 

I can't open it

image.png

Please make shareable for everyone.

I tried a couple of things but nothing works... I can't send it to you :(
I could send it your e-mail..

@BasTimmers 

Please try to place the file here TechComm

@BasTimmers 
I'm not familiar with Papua geography, but wiki says List of districts of Papua - Wikipedia it is divided only on 8 parts, not on 26 as in your file. All of them are recognizable

image.png

If to add Central Papua, Highland Papua and South Papua we have 27 regencies all together. Majority are shown

image.png

not sure what exactly is missed. Please check the file.