Dynamically Referencing Worksheets in Excel Online While Working in Desktop Version

Copper Contributor

I am working in he desktop version of Excel and I'm trying to make a dynamic reference to an online worksheet. 

I'm trying to automate an inspection sheet for orders that my company ships out. The form is on the desktop version of excel, and the data that it pulls is in the online worksheet. When the user enters in the order number that they want, call it order OM00012345, I want the item, item description, and QTY columns to auto-populate.  The rest of the columns will be filled in after the form is printed, so don't worry about any of those. (please excuse the poor censoring job, sorry lol)

rluisi13_0-1679430953010.png

In the online excel sheet, someone else in my business will have already pasted the order info into a sheet named "(ORDER NUMBER)" on our production schedule in Excel Online. For our example, the order number is OM00012041, so the sheet on the schedule would be named "OM00012041". That sheet in Excel Online would look something like this.

rluisi13_1-1679431246395.png

How do I make the connection between this desktop excel file and the one in excel online? How can I dynamically reference a specific cell in Excel Online to use in the desktop version of excel?  Any and all advice is appreciated here, I'm not really sure where to start. 

I hope I've explained the situation clearly enough. Thank you for any and all advice!!

1 Reply
How do I make the connection between this desktop excel file and the one in excel online?

sync/download online excel to local disk first?