SOLVED

Data validation dropdown list isn't working

Copper Contributor

Just recently, the data validation I have set up for my worksheets no longer shows a dropdown list or arrow in the cell for my users. You can start typing something in, and it will give options close to what you've typed in if it's on the list but it no longer gives a dropdown list to choose from. I do have the appropriate boxes checked to allow for that and it's still not working. It's incredibly frustrating to find more and more things no longer work properly since the most recent update.

Has anyone else had an issue with this?

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@srugh I can't say that I have. One possible cause is that objects have been hidden for the entire workbook. Go to File > Options > Advanced, then scroll down to "Display options for this workbook:" and make sure "All" is selected under "For objects, show:".

Advanced OptionsAdvanced Options

It's also a good idea to double-check the data validation rules to make sure "List" has been selected and the "In-cell dropdown" checkbox has been checked.

Data Validation ListData Validation List

If indeed the settings are correct, try clearing the data validation rules and recreating them from scratch.

Lastly, if Freeze Panes has been applied to the neighboring column (on the right) and the horizontal scroll position is too far to the right, the drop-down arrow may appear to be missing when all you need to do is scroll back over to the left.

Freeze Panes: Column D hidden by horizontal scroll positionFreeze Panes: Column D hidden by horizontal scroll position

If none of these suggestions apply to your situation, it's possible the workbook has become corrupted. You could try restoring the file from a backup (if available) to see if the problem exists in a prior version of the file; or, try recreating the data validation rules in a new worksheet to see if the problem persists.

Kind regards.

That was the issue! Object display was set to 'Nothing (hide objects)'. No one but me should be messing with the sheet which is what caused the confusion but clearly something happened to change that setting. Thanks so much!

@srugh Glad to hear it! You're very welcome :)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@srugh I can't say that I have. One possible cause is that objects have been hidden for the entire workbook. Go to File > Options > Advanced, then scroll down to "Display options for this workbook:" and make sure "All" is selected under "For objects, show:".

Advanced OptionsAdvanced Options

It's also a good idea to double-check the data validation rules to make sure "List" has been selected and the "In-cell dropdown" checkbox has been checked.

Data Validation ListData Validation List

If indeed the settings are correct, try clearing the data validation rules and recreating them from scratch.

Lastly, if Freeze Panes has been applied to the neighboring column (on the right) and the horizontal scroll position is too far to the right, the drop-down arrow may appear to be missing when all you need to do is scroll back over to the left.

Freeze Panes: Column D hidden by horizontal scroll positionFreeze Panes: Column D hidden by horizontal scroll position

If none of these suggestions apply to your situation, it's possible the workbook has become corrupted. You could try restoring the file from a backup (if available) to see if the problem exists in a prior version of the file; or, try recreating the data validation rules in a new worksheet to see if the problem persists.

Kind regards.

View solution in original post