Custom Excel Date Formulas and Conditional Formatting

Copper Contributor

Help! I really hope you can respond to this and help me!

I need a formula(s) to apply conditional formatting based on various dates in a column both on the same tab and from a previous tab in the same workbook. Column A is "Date Received" (where the date will vary by when something was received). Column B would be Date Created.

The basics of the formula I need would be if Column A date is greater than 1 week (or 7 days, whichever is easier), format the cell yellow, if greater than 2 weeks (14 days), format the cell red.

Specific Example: If a date isn't entered in Column B within one week (or 7 days, which ever is easier), the cell in Column A will turn yellow, if no date is entered in Column B within 2 weeks (or 14 days) the cell in Column A will turn Red. If a date is entered in Column B the cell in Column B with the date can turn green.

The ideal formatting would be to add icon sets with with the stop lights instead of highlighting the cell with a color. I believe there is an option to enter a custom formula to apply it with the icon sets, correct? If so, I will do that using the formula above. If not, it's not a deal-breaker.

One other thing, how do I reference a column from another tab so it will add and show two weeks after the date in a column of the other tab. Example - Column A "Quote for Approval" in Tab 1 has a date entered for when the quote was submitted. We need Column B in Tab 2 to add 2 weeks (14 days) and put that in Column A from Tab 1. The conditional formatting for that date in Tab 2 would be based on the original date in Tab 1 but would be the same concept of >7 days, >14 days.

I really hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you have questions and thank you very much!!!

3 Replies
Please attach a sample file with few of your sample data then show your desired output manually so that we can make it by formula.

@Harun24HR I'm sorry it has taken so long to reply, work has been very busy. I attached a Word Document that should help. Thank you!

Icon sets only works on value, not over formula. So, if you want icon set conditional formatting then use a helper column (an extra column where put formula) set icon based on value of that helper column.