Create Multiple Word/PDF Documents From Excel

Copper Contributor

Hey there-

I'm trying to create multiple documents (preferably PDF but can be Word) based off an excel file and it's data. 

Essentially trying to create instructions for groups as they complete a form. The data they input in the form is transferred into an Excel document, which I they use to create the instructions (previously manually done). Since each group has a different name and other fields, each copy of instructions is slightly different but with important distinctions. 

I've played around with a Mail Merge to input the required information and Macros to automate the process. I am getting stuck with the fact that Mail Merge does not create individual documents, so I would have to share all instructions I created instead of that group's specific instructions. 

The excel document has columns for the file name, group name, and the 2 other required fields. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

4 Replies

@glukemeyer 

Use the code for PDF yourself, can only recommend. Whatever this may mean by the ignorant:)).

Create and Mail PDF files with Excel 2007 and higher

If you are using Mac Office visit this page : http://www.rondebruin.nl/mac/mac005.htm

The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of me. I makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

sry topic totally messed up. Would you like to save from Excel to PDF? Simply go through file -> Export or save as PDF depending on the Excel version. Please ignore previous post if useful. cheers, Nikolino

Hi @NikolinoDE -

I appreciate the reply, but the issue is that I need multiple documents from the data off the excel file. So unfortunately neither are what I'm looking for. 

I have a template for the instructions I want to create and all the data, but trying to find an automated way to create them instead of having to manually Copy & Paste values for each. 

Better way to describe could be that I want to mail merge but create separate documents to each line/group in the excel file. Currently, the only option I have is a mail merge which creates one document, with the different lines/groups on the next page of the same document. 

@glukemeyer 

I have found a solution for you. A tool where you input a Word file as template and an Excel file with the data. Out comes the many files you need! Good luck :)

Link to tool: https://www.mergeguru.com/