copy and paste to filtered rows

Copper Contributor

Hi I thought excel used to allow me to hard copy and paste visible cells to filtered rows but it seemed this functionality has lost possibly with the new Windows update? I need to work on elimination so being able to hard copy and paste to filtered rows is a must for me. Has anyone else encountered the same issue? The old trick of Ctrl G to evoke Special - visible cells only doesn't work either for hard copying to filtered rows! 

7 Replies

@Vivian310 

Doesn't it work with Ctrl + C (copy) and Ctrl + V (paste)?

If you pre-insert the data in table and then filter?

I would recommend you, with permission, to add information about the Excel version, operating system and storage medium, it would help a lot to offer a more accurate solution.

A photo or a file (without sensitive data) would also help.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@Vivian310 

Hi there.

You can use CTRL + R to copy cells right and CTRL+D to copy cells down. If you have a data that you have a problem, you can share an example for detalied solution.

@Sekoleyte 

Thank you. 

Row 3 is filtered out. I wanted to hard copy A2:B4 (with A3:B3 filtered out) to visible cells in C2:D4, but I could only copy A2:B2 to C2:D2, and I have to copy separately A4:B4 to C4:D4.

I thought I was able to hard copy and paste to visible cells without the above issue. Maybe I was wrong? 

Vivian310_0-1653293543992.png

Hi @Vivian310
While you choose only A2 and A4 (Yellow and Red) When you want to copy it to C2 and C4, it doesn't work. It's normal. Instead, it pastes them in C2 and C3. Appy Following steps that shared below.

Choose A2:A4 and choose C2:C4 in the filtered range. Then press CTRL+R
It will work if A2:A4 are constant instead of formula.
@Sekoleyte
Thank you. I thought excel allowed me to hard copy and paste to the same filtered rows but apparently it doesn't. It would be a good feature though. If copy can be applied to the visible cells only, why paste can't be applied to the visible cells only by default too.
Developers made it like this. Maybe it can be beneficial as well. I don't know why but we can solve it somehow. Glad to help.
Wondering if we can shout anywhere to attract the developers attention for this issue.